Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food for the week?

Options
FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I'm thinking about spending one off day grilling and using that for lunches. Like few chicken breast, a small pork shoulder, etc. Then my lunches for the week are essential done. Does anyone here do that? Any tips so the food on 4th and 5th day is not dry or anything?
Boom

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Did it last night and today. Samich meat!   Plus I usually make extra (regular meals) for leftovers. I must warn you that your co workers will talk when they smell your lunches being heated up.  =P~ image
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I do bone in split chicken breasts and then pull them and food saver enough for a couple days at a time.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    @Brownie I'd love that. I enjoy a good sandwich. If I don't own a meat grinder how easy would it be to slice all the meat?
    Boom
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Super easy. the hardest part of the whole deal is waiting for your cooked meat to chill so you can slice and eat. Me and my boys like to crowd the slicer while slicing to snack. I have only used my slicer 4 times and really like egg made cold cuts. I won't be hitting the deli any time soon.

There is a very recent thread that talks about cold cuts and food slicers.

roast beef for cold cuts
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've not had a problem w. dryness. At least nothing that re-heating w. a bit of sauce or butter doesn't remedy.

I'm more concerned w. spoilage.

Cooked foods, assuming they are properly handled, should not spoil or go bad in 4 days. My experience is that 5 is usually not a problem. I try to make smaller packets, or single servings, and seal them w. as little air as possible. Zip-Loc makes a cheap vacuum bag w. hand pump that works pretty well.

In most cases, I find that if i save a larger container w. several meals worth of food, about the third time I open it, I start smelling off odors.