Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasting 2 Turkeys on the XL Egg

Options
Don_Piero
Don_Piero Posts: 97
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

Canadian Thanksgiving is next weekend (Monday, October 8) and I need to roast two 15 pounders on the XL egg.  I paid extra for the larger grill, but was surprised how tight a fit it was last year for one 16 pounder when closing the lid. I had it standing up on a vertical roaster with a drip pan underneath on the grill. 

Question - Am I going to be able to fit two 15pound turkeys on vertical roasters on the grill or am I going to need to remove the grill and place them on the plate-setter to add extra depth - and is it safe to rest both turkey's on the plate setter, that a total of 30lbs Canadian (no metric conversion needed, LOL).

Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited September 2012
    Options

Just tossing this out. I cook at 400 on turkeys and they should be ready in 1 & 3/4 hour max. Why not just do back to back cooks.

I do them on the large, doing 12 to 13 lbs spatchcocked and takes about 1 & 1/4 hr. One at the time and no problem.  I like the smallest birds I can find so if a bunch coming, need more birds....

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cortguitarman
    Options
    Spatchcocked is also an option.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Bullhalsey
    Options
    I wouldn't do them on a vertical roaster.  Just lay them side by side on the grate or even a rack, with the drip pan underneath, you should be able to easily fit them on the XL...
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I have the old XL with the squatter dome. I think you will have to lose the stands myself. Google Mad Max Turkey and go that way. Canadians don't lie eh?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Don_Piero
    Options
    Thanks you all for your input eh!.  I just saw the Mad Max and Fred Bernardo video and decided I'm going to lay them side by side, as I have an over sized drip pan with two large v-racks that just fit in the XL, so I should be good to go - didn't even think of doing that was as last year I used the vertical roaster. 
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE