Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg Owner - First pizza

SWVABeanCounter
SWVABeanCounter Posts: 859
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
First off a big thanks to all for your generosity in helping us new eggers.  Have learned way too much in the two weeks since getting the egg.  First pizza this weekend turned out great.  Homemade dough (in a bread machine) and all kinds of veggies from the garden under all that cheese.  For some reason that parchment papaer trick didn't work for us, but it didn't burn the paper and still made it easier to slide the pizza in and out.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

Comments

• Congrats on the new egg and the pizza looks great.  What didn't work with the parchment paper? 
  • I've read that alot of people put it in for 3 minutes and then pull the paper out.  Ours wouldn't do that, it was still to sticky.  We tried a few minutes later with same result.  Left the paper in and alls well that ends well.

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Pizza looks good, welcome to the addiction! If you do pizza often you might think about a Super Peel I love mine! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • I trim the parchment paper around the pizza so it doesn't burn and pull it off when the pizza is done.  Several different ways to do it.
  • Hey SWVA, does that stand for south western Virginia? If so where are you from?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Hokie, yes it does.  I'm in Damascus.  How about you?

• For thin pizza with a crunchy crust, this is what works for me:

A well-floured pizza peel is all I use.  Don't assemble the pizza until right before it goes on the grill and also give the peel a shake every so often to make sure the dough doesn't stick.  I don't even use corn meal on the stone anymore.

Granted, it took me a little while to get to this process; but this gets me to the pizza the way our family likes it.
  • Hokie, yes it does.  I'm in Damascus.  How about you?

I have been in the Charlotte area for the last 10 years but for the first 27 years of my life I was in Bland County.  Nothing like home in the mountains of Virginia this time of year.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• I hear ya, been living here 16 years, grew up in New Jersey.  Couldn't go back or I'd be the poster child for road rage.