Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Crap! Butt done way too early..suggestions?

Hogman348Hogman348 Posts: 51
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well when they say a butt can take 1.5-2 hours per pound i have now experienced the shorter side of the scale. The last 2 butts I have done, all usually 9 lbs'ers have taken around 18 hours at 250-270 dome. Keeping that in mind and planning on people coming over for dinner at 6 tonight (Sunday) I didnt want the butt to run long so I started it a little early at 9 pm last night. I figured it would be done anywhere from 2-4pm then cooler till ready.

Well its 8:30, egg was at stuck at 250 dome all night, and now butts at 189. Rising slow, but may only have about an hour or so left (hopefully longer) till i am ready. Any suggestions on what to do to make it till company arrives? Everyone always mentions you can cooler it for around 4 hours, which is now my plan. But i dont want to avoid it drying out the best possible. When do you suggest I take it out of the cooler and pull it?

Thanks for he the help. Chalk this one up to the learning process.

Comments