Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt Cook

tmuenster
tmuenster Posts: 35
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am starting a Boston Butt that I plan to document for the BGE community.  I have done several of these before but I thought it would be helpful to detail the process for anyone who might be new to BGE.

Here are the particulars on the equipment, rub, and pork:
Large BGE
Stoker BBQ Control
Dillio Dust Rub (LaRue Tactical gift for anyone interested)
Mixture of BGE and Cowboy charcoal  (Big pieces of charcoal on the bottom)
Water soaked hickory chunks for the smoke

Pit temp is set at 220 F and the probe is set at 200 F. 

I put the pork on at 3:30pm CST.  The meat was at 38 F and the pit was right at 220 F.  I am planning about 2 hrs per pound and it should take about 22 hours for the cook.

It smells fantastic already!

Comments

• Just about 4 hours into the cook.  Pit is holding steady at 220F and the probe is at 135F.  It smells great.

I forgot to mention the BGE is setup for indirect with a pan of apple cider. 

All the work on the BGE was making me hungry so I fired up my Broilmaster for a nice bone-in ribeye. 
  • It is 12:50am and I am about 9 hours and 20 minutes into the cook.  The pit temp is 219.8F and the probe is at 155F.  Still smells great!
  • anez
    anez Posts: 150
    I just started my first overnight butt cook. 10.3 pounder. Is pit temp same as grid temp?
  • It depends on where your temperature probe is located.  Wherever that is, the temp reading you are seeing is from there.
    Flint, Michigan
  • anez said:
    I just started my first overnight butt cook. 10.3 pounder. Is pit temp same as grid temp?
    Congrats on your first overnight butt cook!  You are going to love the results! 

Fred is correct about the pit and grid temp being the same thing.  I call the temp inside my BGE the "Pit Temperature" and the "Probe Temperature" is the food. 
  • The cook is proceeding as planned.  After about 17.5 hours, the pit temp remains at 220 F and the meat probe is at 171.9F.  I am a little surprised the pork temp is not slightly higher at this point.  Normally it would be about 5 to 10 degrees higher by now.  It was cold overnight so that might have had something to do with it.  Also, I have two pork butts on the BGE so this could take a little longer.

I am also trying out the BBQ Monitor app for the Stoker.  I am not a computer expert by any means but I thought it was relatively straight forward to set up.  I do not have it set up for remote internet viewing yet so it only works on my home network.  This is a big improvement to check the temps from inside the house on my iPhone, especially on a cold morning. 
  • The pork butts turned out great!  It took just about 24 hours to reach 200F.  It might be the most tender pork butt I have done. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nice. Just took mine off. Seems tender. Eat it soon. Nice job.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN