Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Purchase

Options
2»

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options

Quinn,

Oxyclean, citrus cleaner and dish soap and a soak. Works like a charm.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Thanks LS....didn't think about oxyclean. That stuff works like magic on all my brewing gear, I would expect the same here.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I needed a CI skillet for the small.  We bought a new Lodge CI and cut off the handle.  There was no way that I was going destroy the ones from my mother, grandmother, and great aunt.

Joan, you will not destroy the old stuff.  Keep temps at 500, 600 max, and raised direct or indirect.  Standard setup on the grate direct, I wouldn't go higher than 400.  Any higher and you risk burning the seasoning off.  The key is to let the CI get a good, long preheat, similar to a pizza stone.   

These things were used over wood burning stoves and can handle some heat.

I've learned the hard way by warping a griddle and reseasoning a few pans.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Focker said:
    I needed a CI skillet for the small.  We bought a new Lodge CI and cut off the handle.  There was no way that I was going destroy the ones from my mother, grandmother, and great aunt.

Joan, you will not destroy the old stuff.  Keep temps at 500, 600 max, and raised direct or indirect.  Standard setup on the grate direct, I wouldn't go higher than 400.  Any higher and you risk burning the seasoning off.  The key is to let the CI get a good, long preheat, similar to a pizza stone.   

I meant that I was not going to cut off the handles of my heirlooms just to fit the egg when I could buy a new one that has no family history and memories
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Focker said:

I meant that I was not going to cut off the handles of my heirlooms just to fit the egg when I could buy a new one that has no family history and memories
    Hey Austin, I was thinking of doing the same thing for my small.  I'm assuming you modified a 10.  I've never cut CI before.  I'm assuming you cut it with a hacksaw and not a torch.  How did you treat the cut end?  I was thinking about filing the edges to round them a bit and then seasoning the heck out of it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've cut CI a bunch of times.  It cuts like butter - much easier than carbon steel.  Hack saw works great.  I have a portable band saw that makes it really easy.  Also, oxy-acetylene and plasma work fine if you have access, but you'll have to dress it with a grinder.
    Thanks nola.  I'll use a hacksaw and round the cut edge a bit with a grinder.  Now all I gotta do is buy another 10 and quit looking at Wilma's pans with bad intentions.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Sweet!  I learned from an early age when I drilled a hole in my mom's pressure cooker (college years) to make a still for whiskey distillation that you should never mess with the "good stuff"...

Oh, and the moonshine was so terrible that it induced instant vomiting.  Seriously.  However, after aging with charcoal (another mistake - making charcoal in the family oven), it was quite good.
    Fred I used a hacksaw to remove the handle. The other half clean off the sharp edges.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    That's hilarious!  I never had the guts to appropriate and upgrade my Mom's things because my Dad scared the crap out of me!
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Dad was a not a happy camper when I messed with his tools...I can sympathize. :)
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Focker said:

Oops, my apologies.  It would help if I read your entire reply.  

I wholeheartedly agree. 

:)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options
    All of my CI was bought at antique malls where you can find many different sizes for a small amount of dollars - and they've been well used and seasoned by someone else - they work great!
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    That's hilarious!  I never had the guts to appropriate and upgrade my Mom's things because my Dad scared the crap out of me!
    Me either!  My Dad was a Funeral Director and told me he could hide my body any time he wanted and no one would ever find me.  LOL
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa