Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What is that thermometer?

BaysidebobBaysidebob Posts: 489
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

Between my wok and kettle-q I use the "dancing water drop" and "smoking oil" to determine proper temp.  Not exactly precise.  On a long lost comment I saw a pic of a thermometer that reads surface temp by pointing it like a radar gun.  What is that?  It might just be the ticket for what I do.

Thanks

bob

My actuary says I'm dead.
·

Comments

• infrared thermometer. Search amazon and you will find many
    ·
  • Bayside - does it look look this? 
    Quite common with deep friers to determine oil temp. 

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Thanks!  Found one on Amazon for $17.49.  Will the BGE toy collection never end?
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    I use mine mainly for checking pizza stone temps, but also works great to find the coldest beer..
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • Solson005 said:
    I use mine mainly for checking pizza stone temps, but also works great to find the coldest beer..

Ok, I now have to get one of these! The mountains do get blue, however to know the exact temp of the coldest one will be a fun drinking game to play.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
  •  however to know the exact temp of the coldest one will be a fun drinking game to play.

I often say, what the world needs most is another drinking game.  Bring it on.  :)
    ·
  • I would rather see a picture of it checking temp on the beer rather than the pizza stone
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
    ·
    @Phoenix824 I had already used it to find a beer so it wasn't the coldest anymore.. But I will work on getting a picture of that. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
    ·
  • Solson005 said:
    @Phoenix824 I had already used it to find a beer so it wasn't the coldest anymore.. But I will work on getting a picture of that. 
    Thank you many times over.  Mine arrived today and  intend to use it for a cook tomorrow.  I have already gotten my money's worth just knowing I got the coldest beer from the cooler.
    ·
    Glad to help. I can't have my fellow eggheads drinking semi-cold beer..
    ·