Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

more than one egg?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering why I see many folks on the sites with more than one egg? I have a large one, why would I need to partner it with smaller sizes? Is this just the old "he who dies with the most toys wins" thing, or am I missing something?

Comments

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    I don't have multiple Eggs (yet), but here are the reasons I've seen come up in the past:

1) You can cook at two different temps at the same time. You can do a "low and slow" on one Egg (like a brisket or butt), and a higher-temp cook on another (like steaks).

2) Different sizes are better for different things. A lot of folks prefer using the Medium or smaller size for smaller cooks. You don't use as much charcoal, for one thing. But when you have crowds over, you can cook on the bigger Egg. Besides, for folks who like to cook away from home, the Large is kind of tough to move at 140 lbs.

3) For really big crowds, more Eggs allows you to be cooking a lot of food all at the same time.

My guess is I'll pick up a Small in the next couple of years for the reasons stated above. Hope that helps!
  • Unknown
    Options
    I was wondering why I see many folks on the sites with more than one egg? I have a large one, why would I need to partner it with smaller sizes? Is this just the old "he who dies with the most toys wins" thing, or am I missing something?
  • KBuck
    KBuck Posts: 42
    Options
    For the same reason you have different size pots and pans; matching the cooking vessel with the amount of food you are cooking, different cooking temps, more capacity, etc. They work so damn well, you get hooked and wind up feeding your gear addiction.
  • bostonbuttsox
    Options
    I would love to pick up a small as soon as I can convence the wife.

I hauled my large to the family cabin over the 4th and it was a pain.

Is the small light enough for one man to load alone?
  • Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    According to this site, the Small is 65 lbs. That's less than half the weight of the Large. I've seen several people say they can carry the Small themselves, though it's certainly not as portable as the 30 lb Mini.