Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st brisket

piney
piney Posts: 1,478
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I started my first brisket today at 5:30am I injected it yesterday with beef broth, this morning I covered it with yellow mustard, then coated it with John Henry's Sugar Maple Rub. As of right now the temps are 228 grid 154 meat I feel I have hit "the stall" because the meat temp just stopped climbing sometime ago. Just wish me luck on this one I have been listening close to what Travis, Cen-Tex, Bubba Tim, and everyone else suggest. I will keep everyone posted.  
Lenoir, N.C.

Comments

• Good Luck.  Briskets are tough.  Hope all goes well.

Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • piney
    Thanks Greenhawk, I am now at 158 meat 223 grid I think it is in "the stall" This thing is only 7 lbs I put it on at 5:30 am hoping to pull around 4:00pm
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Good luck
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • piney
    Thanks Travis, I am still at 158/223 do you think I'm still ok for 4pm est?  Also what target temp am I looking for 195-200?
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • piney said:
    Thanks Greenhawk, I am now at 158 meat 223 grid I think it is in "the stall" This thing is only 7 lbs I put it on at 5:30 am hoping to pull around 4:00pm
    Hey Lenoir!  Smells good!

You're definitely good for a 4pm meal - you'll prolly go at least another two hours in the Egg, and the brisket can sit in a cooler, wrapped first in Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil and then in towels, for another four or so....

FTC (foil/towel/cooler) will really improve your brisket.  It allows all those juices and flavours to redistribute and absorb into the meat, instead of spilling out when you slice it.  One hour is the minimum, imho...

Congrats and enjoy!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• I think you're fine on time. I would start checking the tenderness at about 190. Mine are usually done between 195-200.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • piney

Thanks Travis and Marvel, I think everything to this point is ok just waiting out the stall.

Also Marvel I noticed your post on knives do you mind sharing the name of the Asian Market I am in that area every week and would love to check them out.

Lenoir, N.C.
  • piney said:

Thanks Travis and Marvel, I think everything to this point is ok just waiting out the stall.

Also Marvel I noticed your post on knives do you mind sharing the name of the Asian Market I am in that area every week and would love to check them out.

Dynasty on Spring Garden St.  Best woks for the Egg there, too - and look at their sharpening stones while you're at it..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• piney
    Thanks I know where Spring Garden is I will check this out. I go to Altamahaw to Glen Raven every week.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    edited September 2012
    piney said:
    Thanks Travis, I am still at 158/223 do you think I'm still ok for 4pm est?  Also what target temp am I looking for 195-200?
    Piney, my suggestion is cook to neither a specific time nor a specific temperature.  Cook it until it's tender.  Start checking about 195 internal.  But if you feel resistance to sliding in a temperature probe, you are not quite finished.  Each piece of meat can be different.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • piney

Thanks Don, I was using time & temp as a rule of thumb, plus I injected this beast heavy with Au jus and beef broth. I am in a stall now at 158 where I have been for 5hrs. I hope it will pick up soon.

Thanks Gary 

Lenoir, N.C.
  • piney
    Well I bumped the grid to 240 and I have internal at 169 might be coming out of stall
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • DonWW
    Well...???  How did it turn out?  Inquiring minds want to know!
  • piney

Sorry about the delay, the brisket on Sunday was a huge success. When dinner was over there was 3 small slices left, when everything is eaten I consider that a huge complement!

Thanks again for everyones advice. I will learn to post pics so I can share some of my cooks.

Thanks again, Don, Travis, Marvel you guys were a lot of help.

Lenoir, N.C.
  • Awesome!  
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• DonWW
    It's what we're here for.  Trust me, I have received much more advice than I have given.
    But...... it's early......

Glad to know the cook worked out!