Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wow Flashback!

Options
jeffcaputo
jeffcaputo Posts: 15
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just had my first flashback, now minus some arm, eyelash, and eyebrow hair! Everything else is fine and the sausages tasted great. Don't forget to BURP your Egg :). Happy Saturday

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Sounds scary, have yet to have one myself.  I'm a religious "burper" and have an XL (which I hear don't have them very often).
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    My neighbor at the cottage had a good one and I just missed it.  Just finished some ribs and he kicked it up for hamburgs for the kids.  Huge flash.  Egg glued shut.  Gasket tore off when opened.  Strangely I have always wanted to witness one just not mine.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yeah, I lost a bit of eyebrow too. Steaks were great.

I've had small flashbacks even while burping. Not a problem if your arm is raised enough, and you are standing well back. Just a little rush of smoke, and then a thin line of flame. I've never had more than 2 flaming burps before opening a really hot Egg. Much better than one big blue flash.
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Had a flashback when burping tonight. I was doing pizza and at about 500. I think I filled it up too high with lump so the flame was too close to the felt line. On the bright side, my arm is silky smoothe.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Oh they happen on XLs my arms can tell you as can my knees from when it was straight on the deck.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Baysidebob
    Options
    Don't trust anyone with hair on their hands.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • maintenanceman
    Options
     i hate burnt nose hairs and eye lashes
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Don't trust anyone with hair on their hands.

=))
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You are now an EggHead <:-P
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Read the title and thought you had a repeat from the 60's.
    Options
    Had a few myself.  Generally resulting from a few to many while preparing for an overnighter. 
  • WickedIsland
    Options
    Yikes! Had one a couple of weeks ago and lost some hair. It is a litle scary when that heat wave washes over you. I am now pretty good about burping. I was showing my FIL the cold egg last night and I burped it before opening (it was a little funny but only to me, he didn't have a clue what that little odd extra move was) :-S
  • Dirtnaponhold
    Options
    My experience with a Flash Back I had last April:

Burnt Ends:
    The combination of old and new can be sometimes dangerous.  I'm new to the "Green Egg Society" while also being a seventy-five year member to the "Flat Earth Club"  So when I read of how great those "Burnt Ends" are, I get curious.  What are they and what can you do with them.  Sunday I loaded the BGE with some fine Royal Oak Lump, opened the bottom vent to the  Max. Lit the Lump with paper towel and veg oil, closed the Dome and left the Daisy Wheel off to get the coals up to a good base heat for cooking.  Now problems with short term memory, (a product of being a charter member of the "Flat Earth Club"), kick in.  I went into the house to do what old people do best, go to the bathroom.  Time passes and I remember that I started the BGE  some 20 minutes ago.  Quickly I rush out to the BGE discovering that it is now a BGM, (Big Green Monster), huffing and puffing at 700 plus.  The Thermometer pegged out I believe.  Without thinking, (I wanted to cool the Pit down), I lifted the Dome.

Fast forward 24 hours to yesterday. I was  in town visiting my old friend of 30 years who is a Barber.  He took a look at me and said, Nelson take a seat and let me take care of those "Burnt Ends"
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @Dirtnaponhold - you just made my night.  I will never think of Burnt Ends the same again.  Great story.
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    I had a flashback out the bottom tonight! I new I was cursed after commenting on this!
    Lynnwood WA
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    My experience with a Flash Back I had last April:

Burnt Ends:
    The combination of old and new can be sometimes dangerous.  I'm new to the "Green Egg Society" while also being a seventy-five year member to the "Flat Earth Club"  So when I read of how great those "Burnt Ends" are, I get curious.  What are they and what can you do with them.  Sunday I loaded the BGE with some fine Royal Oak Lump, opened the bottom vent to the  Max. Lit the Lump with paper towel and veg oil, closed the Dome and left the Daisy Wheel off to get the coals up to a good base heat for cooking.  Now problems with short term memory, (a product of being a charter member of the "Flat Earth Club"), kick in.  I went into the house to do what old people do best, go to the bathroom.  Time passes and I remember that I started the BGE  some 20 minutes ago.  Quickly I rush out to the BGE discovering that it is now a BGM, (Big Green Monster), huffing and puffing at 700 plus.  The Thermometer pegged out I believe.  Without thinking, (I wanted to cool the Pit down), I lifted the Dome.

Fast forward 24 hours to yesterday. I was  in town visiting my old friend of 30 years who is a Barber.  He took a look at me and said, Nelson take a seat and let me take care of those "Burnt Ends"
    I just blew beer outa my nose on that one !!!!!
    =))

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.