Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New XL Owner

Options
Sayfore
Sayfore Posts: 10
edited September 2012 in Off Topic
new BGE XL...love it, but need some advice on low heat sustainability...seems my overnight brisket dropped to 200 degrees...was really tasty and was worried when it fell below 300 while i was asleep

Comments

• makis
    makis Posts: 81
    Options
    Don't be. 

Keep the Egg every time full of lump and you will master it soon.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    Dropping to 200 from 300 should not really be an issue.  What was your target temperature for the entire cook?  If it was an overnight cook, I would assume something in the 220 - 250 range.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • smokinsooner
    Options
    Welcome! Even though the BGE is consistent, I had many a sleepless night babysitting temp. I got a DigiQ...and sleep like a baby now. 12 hours later temp various maybe 1 degree!
    BOOMER!
  • Sayfore
    Options
    made my first pizza yesterday...i was as amazed as my 7 year old...
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    I was going to get a Temp Controller until I realized there is not a need for one (unless for a piece of mind doing competition or catering etc). The BGE's are eggcelent at keeping temps. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    Options
    I use to have a brinkman. those were long nights chasing temps.  I could see the need for a temp controller for those - not the BGE.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    There could be several reasons for the drop in temp - the lump may not have the same consistency in the same bag, the way the lump was stacked or dumped into the BGE, wood chunks could have been burning hotter when you thought you were stable, etc. etc.  95 times out of a hundred you will maintain the temp within 25 degrees.  However, with a digiq or stoker with fan you increase the odds to 99.9% of the time you will maintain the temperature within + or - 4 degrees.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Lilpossum
    Options
    Before I do any overnight cooks I always take my XL apart, I remove fire ring,box,and left over charcoal and I get my shop vac in the mix.Once clean put back together and fill with charcoal to the top of the fire ring, I found this takes about 10min and I have no problems with temp control.
    Nothing as frustrating as maintaining a temp over night when all you want to do is sleep.Hope this helps.