Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BB Rib Set up

Options
pileit1971
pileit1971 Posts: 136
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have plenty of recipes to look at, but what I need now is the setup for the green egg, I have a large and I am going to be trying BB for the first time this sunday.

I have a plate setter....legs up or down?

I have PSWoo3.... does that go in first, then plate setter on top of it?

I have drip pan set up...goes on top of plate setter

I am assuming that ribs should be elevated, is it high enough to be at the seal or do they need to be higher?

Is the plate setter and drip pan enough of a barrier for indirect, seems like there is still more space around the setter then what I would want to do a large amount of ribs--planning around 4 racks (i hope)

Thanks for the info...
Large BGE
Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    The platesetter goes in the PSWoo3, legs  up, drip pan on plate setter.  Elevate the drip pan, such as 4 pennies at each corner.

There has to be room around the platesetter to have air flow and smoke flow. On a large you have to move the racks around because the ends exposed will get dried out.
  • SinCityEgger
    Options
    My procedure, and there are many: Platesetter on the fire ring, legs up Drip pan, purpose is to keep drippings from burning (that is why I fill it with tap H2O) Grill on top Rib rack The gaps with allow some direct heat and "scorch" the ends, but some foil near those areas will help prevent that. The smoke will fill the chamber no matter what you do, if it's pouring out of the top, u have enough wood Don't be afraid to let the temp get up there, upper 300s dome, for me, works very well. there is a reason why the described turbo technique is popular, it just turns out great taste in less time and fuss.