Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hurricane Isaac Pig Butt Cookathon, lotso pics

nolaegghead
nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well, damn generator failed around 5 AM.  Turned out to be the temp sensor - shorted out, made the controller think it's over heating.  I removed one terminal (open circuit), fired it back up and checked the temp a few times with an IR temp gun.  We still in bidness.

What a mess.  Started cleaning up, still windy and rainy.  Climbed on the roof with the leaf blower, trying to get a head start, but weather is forcast to be bad through tomorrow.

imageimage

Uncovered the egg, looks unscathed.

Just dumped some new lump on the old.  The DigiQ will power the air through all the ash. 

Seems like I try a different way of lighting every time.  Lighted the top, let it get started, then poked some cherry chunks down in the center.

imageimage

Seasoned a couple o butts with DP Dust, plus some left over seasoning I mixed up for beef jerky the day before yesterday (I really need to dry it)...

Well, there we go.  Lots of hungry neighbors, many lost their refrigerator contents.  Started late because of the wind, but better late than never.

Comments

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Looking good bud. Tree rummage I'd take any day over anything structural!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Good luck with that mess. Glad you got the generator going.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • LongboardR
    LongboardR Posts: 101

I was thinking how y'all were doing. Glad to see your ok. Good luck with the remaining weather bands and clean up. BTW- i like the generator set up and how its off the ground. Smart set up.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Glad it all turned out safe.

Diehard egger for sure. Egg on bro, I likey!

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Too bad about the Genny....but sounds like you got a handle on things. Good luck with the butts and clean-up!
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Best of Luck with the storm and clean up !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • nolaegghead
    Thanks y'all.  I just walked down the street to the next block, power pole down, big tree fell.  Interesting thing about the tree - it lifted up the sidewalk where someone had parked his truck.  The front wheels are off the ground.  I used my SLR, need to find the memory reader so I can post the pics.

The butt is cooking nicely at 270 grate, 280 dome.  The DigiQ seems to be IMMUNE to wind - I was worried 30 mph winds with higher gusts would make it difficult to hold temp. Not the case.  (purring sounds)
    Sounds good. I feel for you on the clean up. That is always the worst part. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @nolaegghead-glad that everyone came thru safely and you have only external clean up to deal with. Good that the BGE can serve as a stress reliever and provide the best eats around.  No injuries during the clean up; could impact down-stream cooks.  Don't let mother nature wear you down.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    Tried training the cats for lawn cleanup.  They could care less.

There's a green, leafy spew all over everything, like someone chewed up spinach and spit it out.

The alley turned sideways.

Neighbor from our porch (jealous vegetarian)...

spooge on cars.  yuk.

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Glad you pulled through.  My wife flies in to NO and goes to a branch of her office in Houma several times a year.  Defiantly LOW country there.  
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • Glad to see no major damage to the egg......And of course your home and cars.  You and your neighbors will need the food energy for the clean up work!  Good luck on the clean up, and above all be safe! 
  • nolaegghead
    Houma spent some sunny time in the eye today.  They had some major problems too.

Yeah, we're pulling through fine.  It's not over yet, getting crazy wind and rain still, about where it was 24 hours ago.   Watching the news, and there are communities all over the area that got tidal surge flooding.  Braithwaite, for example, got 11 feet.  Water to the roof.  

Power is out to around 700,000, Entergy is pushing back on power restore deadlines.  Crazy mutha nature gone wild.

Thank gawd for the egg.  Feel like I'm doing something by cooking for the neighbors.  Too stormy to do any cleanup...everyone is still hunkering down.  Walked through the hood today and most people who are still here are chilling out on their porches, friendly as can be, hums of generators here and there.

Glad you are doing OK.  I been watching the TV and hav seen lots of people getting rescued carrying dogs.  Haven't seen anyone carrying a BGE so I figured you were alright.

Happy not to be in Ocean Springs MS anymore.

• nolaegghead
    Just an update, haven't been on the forum much in the past week - been too busy.  Our power was out for almost a week.  The cable/phone/internet went out  a couple of days after the storm.  Generator worked great.  No damage worth claiming.  Work got power and internet back Sunday and Monday, we opened Tuesday.  Fun fun fun.
    @-)

Glad all is going well there.

=D> =D>

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• nolaegghead
    I appreciate it, aviator.  We all good.