Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic Grill Works 2 Tier Rack - Carbon Steel?

124»

Comments

• The reality is Stainless not good at searing at high temps. Tom's products require the use of a cast iron grate for searing which can also be pron to rust. I like the adjustable rack and the swing rack so I'm not in either companies camp.

The intent of the swing rack was to be an all purpose rack. They created a grate that could make sear marks at both levels.

The trade off...more maintenance to make sure it doesn't rust. Out in Houston with high humidity you're going to have to oil more than some one like me living in Edmonton that lives in a drier landlocked climate.

Use flaxseed oil for the seasoning. It's far better than veg oil. It's not bullet proof but it does form a harder surface and adhere's to the cast iron and carbon steel better than other oils.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Thank you once again sarg.. Too dumb to realize what you are doing. God I wish more were as naive and dumb in life. What is funny is you really don't realize it. Clueless. LOL. Now jump on the Love Boat big boy.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Thank you once again sarg.. Too dumb to realize what you are doing. God I wish more were as naive and dumb in life. What is funny is you really don't realize it. Clueless. LOL. Now jump on the Love Boat big boy.
    Ignorance in its lowest form. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • I love it. Ha, ha, ha, ha.
  • Keep feeding me. LOL.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    empowerment given is the driving force wise egg once said Master yourself empower no one 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    My feeling guys....use the products that make you happy and don't use the products that don't.....end of story!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    gpsegg said:
    My feeling guys....use the products that make you happy and don't use the products that don't.....end of story!
    +1 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  •      I love them both.  For my XL I have the Woo2/AR combo and the CGW 2 tier.  I love them both and wouldn't want to be without either.  Pros/cons are too many too list, and possibilities are endless, but basically CGW 2 tier for sears and lower volume Q's and AR for high volume.  Both companies run by great guys with great customer service.  If I was forced to choose, I'd have to flip a coin.
         I'm pretty new to forums in general, but what I've noticed about trolls is you have to completely ignore them.  They feed on attention.  I literally just skip over their posts w/o reading because that kind of toxicity can be contagious.  Not sure if they were dropped on their heads as children, never get laid, or what?  But apparently their lives are so void of joy or meaning they can only try to get satisfaction by dragging others down with them.  I think it's the misery loves company thing.  I sincerely hope that each one finds the girlfriend, or job, or purpose in life that they need to not feel so inadequate and antagonistic.  Peace out trolls, I love you and am praying for you to find so much joy you can't imagine being rude to anyone.  
    XL Big Green Egg, adjustable rig combo, Woo2, CyberQ, plate setter, Weber Genesis
  • LOL Damn this is fun. They have no idea. Ha, ha, ha. Continue please.
  • LOL Damn this is fun. They have no idea. Ha, ha, ha. Continue please.

No kidding.  You keep winning.  

Well, except in life.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I will try the flaxseed oil. Thanks.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Thank you again, Davey. I love it. Sucker born every minute. Another board is getting a big kick out of this. Gullible. You can't touch this [x5] My, my, my music hits me so hard Makes me say "Oh my Lord" Thank you for blessing me With a mind to rhyme and two hype feet It feels good, when you know you're down A super dope homeboy from the Oaktown And I'm known as such And this is a beat, uh, you can't touch I told you homeboy (You can't touch this) Yeah, that's how we living and you know (You can't touch this) Look at my eyes, man (You can't touch this) Yo, let me bust the funky lyrics (You can't touch this) Fresh new kicks, advance You gotta like that, now you know you wanna dance So move, outta your seat And get a fly girl and catch this beat While it's rolling, hold on Pump a little bit and let 'em know it's going on Like that, like that Cold on a mission so fall them back Let 'em know, that you're too much And this is a beat, uh, you can't touch Yo, I told you (You can't touch this) Why you standing there, man? (You can't touch this) Yo, sound the bell, school is in, sucka (You can't touch this) Give me a song, or rhythm Make 'em sweat, that's what I'm giving 'em Now, they know You talking about the Hammer you talking about a show That's hype, and tight Singers are sweating so pass them a wipe Or a tape, to learn What's it gonna take in the 90's to burn The charts? Legit Either work hard or you might as well quit That's word because you know... You can't touch this Break it down! (Music breaks down) Stop, Hammer time! Go with the funk, it is said That if you can't groove to this then you probably are dead So wave your hands in the air Bust a few moves, fun your fingers through your hair This is it, for a winner Dance to this and you're gonna get thinner Move, slide your rump Just for a minute let's all do the bump, bump, bump Yeah... (You can't touch this) Look, man (You can't touch this) You better get hype, boy, because you know (You can't touch this) Ring the bell, school's back in Break it down! Stop, Hammer time! You can't touch this Break it down! Stop, Hammer time! Every time you see me The Hammer's just so hype I'm dope on the floor and I'm magic on the mic Now why would I ever stop doing this? With others making records that just don't hit I've toured around the world, from London to the Bay It's "Hammer, go Hammer, MC Hammer, yo Hammer" And the rest can go and play You can't touch this
  • Salty Hogs.  You must be a politician because you write so much and say so little.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Ha. Now that is funny.
  • Aviator said:

I will try the flaxseed oil. Thanks.

Just make sure you clean off any orginal seasoning before switching over to flaxseed. warm the grill up to 200 F. Apply the first cost and wipe it off.

Turn the Egg up to 500 F for 90 mins. Repeat the process until the Grate turns bluish yellow. 6 -10 times. It depends where you live as to how many coats it will take. It you apply another seasoning every two weeks for about 2 months it will eventually turn jet black.

After that you should only have to one Full seasoning session a month to renew your coat.

Unless you cook over 800 F the flaxseed oil finish will not easily burn off.

2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • I have had my swing grate for a couple of weeks. Seasoned it once with veg oil, nothing esoteric. Sometimes I store it on the egg, sometimes in a plastic storage box. Works great, no problems, no rust. Built like a rock. I do need to get a different grate lifter though. Any advice on a good grate lifter for the swing grate?
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Charcoal_Addict Posts: 227
    edited September 2012

I have had my swing grate for a couple of weeks. Seasoned it once with veg oil, nothing esoteric. Sometimes I store it on the egg, sometimes in a plastic storage box. Works great, no problems, no rust. Built like a rock.

I do need to get a different grate lifter though. Any advice on a good grate lifter for the swing grate?

I would use the cast iron grate lifter they sell on the Craycort site. It's well designed to lifter heavy items. (small lifts) You also have the third hand for lifting it off the grill and placing it somewhere else.

As far as Flaxseed oil is concerned, you don't need to use it but it does work better then veg oil for seasoning. Peace of mind more than anything else.
  • I have a Craycort lifter but was not clever enough to think of using it. Thanks for the tip. Will try flax seed oil when I get the chance. I have looked for the Third Hand which seems more like what I want but cannot find them for sale anywhere.
  • The big difference between Flaxseed oil versus Peanut Oil/Vegtibke oil and other alternative is the durability of the oil coating. The flaxseed adheres better to CI and carbon steel and is much harder to burn off or scratch off. I have a set of Craycorts for my Weber Kettle and the Flaxseed finish way out performed the Safflower oil finish Craycrort originally applied. I've tried peanut oil, vegetable oil, ect... The Flaxseed out performed all the other oils. I hate too much maintenance work on grates too. Switching to Flaxseed cut the work down by 2/3. The big minus is the 20 hours for the initial seasoning. After you get past that hill it's simply a matter of starting one cook every two week to apply another coat. A lot of it has to do with the fact the flaxseed oil does not come off with grill brush scrapping all that easily as other finishes do. Flaxseed oil looks like a more costly solution but when you factor in less coats over time and zero rust, the value equation changes pretty quick.
  • Doesn't anyone monitor this forum? Why don't they get rid of someone like that?

• Sgt93
    The big difference between Flaxseed oil versus Peanut Oil/Vegtibke oil and other alternative is the durability of the oil coating. The flaxseed adheres better to CI and carbon steel and is much harder to burn off or scratch off. I have a set of Craycorts for my Weber Kettle and the Flaxseed finish way out performed the Safflower oil finish Craycrort originally applied. I've tried peanut oil, vegetable oil, ect... The Flaxseed out performed all the other oils. I hate too much maintenance work on grates too. Switching to Flaxseed cut the work down by 2/3. The big minus is the 20 hours for the initial seasoning. After you get past that hill it's simply a matter of starting one cook every two week to apply another coat. A lot of it has to do with the fact the flaxseed oil does not come off with grill brush scrapping all that easily as other finishes do. Flaxseed oil looks like a more costly solution but when you factor in less coats over time and zero rust, the value equation changes pretty quick.
    Flaxseed oil is great. I haven't done the 2-tier with it, but seasoned my dutch oven with it and it's great. I couldn't find a bottle of liquid Flaxseed so I bought pills and cut them open. It probably took around 20 pills to do the BGE Dutch Oven. I may do this with the 2 tier as well.

• Sgt93

Doesn't anyone monitor this forum? Why don't they get rid of someone like that?

They did. Click on Salty's profile and he is banned. THANK YOU BGE! =D>
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Finally.  Sad to lose a good guy like Stike and Have that loser Salty on here.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Sgt93
    thetrim said:
    Finally.  Sad to lose a good guy like Stike and Have that loser Salty on here.
    Exactly. 
  • I'm glad to see him gone also, but some on here acted as childish as he/she did. 
  • Sgt93
    I'm glad to see him gone also, but some on here acted as childish as he/she did. 
    I got caught up for a minute and apologize. 
  • Sgt93 said:

The big difference between Flaxseed oil versus Peanut Oil/Vegtibke oil and other alternative is the durability of the oil coating. The flaxseed adheres better to CI and carbon steel and is much harder to burn off or scratch off.

I have a set of Craycorts for my Weber Kettle and the Flaxseed finish way out performed the Safflower oil finish Craycrort originally applied. I've tried peanut oil, vegetable oil, ect... The Flaxseed out performed all the other oils.

I hate too much maintenance work on grates too. Switching to Flaxseed cut the work down by 2/3.

The big minus is the 20 hours for the initial seasoning. After you get past that hill it's simply a matter of starting one cook every two week to apply another coat. A lot of it has to do with the fact the flaxseed oil does not come off with grill brush scrapping all that easily as other finishes do.

Flaxseed oil looks like a more costly solution but when you factor in less coats over time and zero rust, the value equation changes pretty quick.

Flaxseed oil is great. I haven't done the 2-tier with it, but seasoned my dutch oven with it and it's great. I couldn't find a bottle of liquid Flaxseed so I bought pills and cut them open. It probably took around 20 pills to do the BGE Dutch Oven. I may do this with the 2 tier as well.

It has to be refrigerated. It's easily found in Health stores. Shop around for it. Some health stores will add in extra junk you don't need that will double the price. You shouldn't be paying more than 8 -10 Bucks a bottle is the US.