Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CyberQ WiFi Question

Options
jbajor
jbajor Posts: 17
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi fellow eggheads!  After a recent all night cook on a pork butt resulting in several 'alarms' on my iGrill for pit temps out of range, I made the decision (now supported by my wife!) to invest in a pit controller.  I ordered a BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi because, among other things, I love bells and whistles!  Anyway, I am looking forward to its arrival and the start of MANY more low and slows....  One question I have for all of you users out there...  how many of you use the 'ramp' feature which gradually lowers the pit temp as the meat nears completion?  What are your thoughts on whether to enable it or not?  Thank for your input!  
Egg On!

Comments

• Onegrecook
    Options
    I have the cyberq wifi but haven't used that feature yet. I'm usually around when it nears final temp so I just pull it off. I love the wifi though. I have it set up in infrastructure mode and have used it several times away from home to monitor and adjust while in town or at the office. Works great if you set it up properly.

I hope you enjoy it!
  • jbajor
    Options
    Thanks for your response to my post.  That makes complete sense using the ramp function for quick cooks!  Could you send me the link to the step by step instructions to infrastructure mode as that is how I intend to use it.  I appreciate your assistance!
    Egg On!
  • noid1037
    Options
    The CyberQ Wifi is great.  I also have it infrastructure mode.  I dont have it on port 80.  I have other devices on ports and wanted it ported on 99.  I put it in ramp mode once for a large pork pump and worked really well.  The first time I used the pit viper fan with the setup the temp kept running up and wasnt easy to control... I didnt notice the slide at the fan port.  Now its about 1/2 open and its not a problem.  

BGE Large... Go get 'em! "Cant means you haven't tried."

Tulsa, OK

• mbhutton
    Options
    Can the wifi version run2 pits like the regular cyberq??
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    Don't have the CyberQ but do have the DigiQ II. I have used the ramp feature in the past and have mixed feelings about it. The idea is great if you think you are going to be away and not get back to your BGE in time for a normal finish or you have unexpected company that you hadn't planned on feeding and you are waiting for them to go away. The pit actually ramped down to 175* and my food kept just below the finish temp I wanted for 2.5 hrs. until I wanted to take it off at suppertime. It Stayed medium rare. This can also be annoying if you forget to turn the ramp mode off for a regular cook and it gets very close to the time you want it finished, check on the Egg and find that the pit temp. is 50* cooler than expected and the food is nowhere near done. (Easy fix but annoying) ~X(

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options

+1 on flaskabob, the ramp down is perfect if you get away from home and can't get back in time. It will literally save the day. It also works well for thicker cuts of meat when you don't quite know how long it will take to come out of the stall period and can't hang around all day waiting on it. i don't use the whole sytem on any cook less than 2 hours.

i have a medium and mine damper/draft door is only 1/4 of the way open, which makes sense since you all with larges have yours open about half way.

i'm not aware of the wifi version of the guru running two pits, that's stoker territory i believe.