Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic Grill Works 2 Tier Rack - Carbon Steel?

Comments

• sboz8
    sboz8 Posts: 5
    I have enjoyed reading about customer experiences with the swing rack and the ajustable rig. Very informative threads. How about a garage sale section to the forum where members can sell bbq related items. I have pallets of hardware. Stainless steel bar pulls, hooks and drawer slides for making tables I can offer to members cheap but I know it's against the rules to list prices.
  • You spend more time buying toys than you do buying cookers. Most of us have an average of 2-3 grills. Not to say there aren't folks trying to give Bobby Flay a run for his money. Most of us collect a closet full of toys to grill with. You just can't ever buy enough toys.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Well, I have been reluctant to post this, as I was so gung ho on getting it in the other thread.

Rust rust rust.

I have stopped using the swing grate. Dont feel this is safe for human cooking at least for my family.

Sorry, don't mean to pee on anyones' parade, and as above, was reluctant to come out and post it.

I know, oil it, yada yada, but I dont have the time to oil and polish every thing that I own.

Looking for other alternatives.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator said:

Well, I have been reluctant to post this, as I was so gung ho on getting it in the other thread.

Rust rust rust.

I have stopped using the swing grate. Dont feel this is safe for human cooking at least for my family.

Sorry, don't mean to pee on anyones' parade, and as above, was reluctant to come out and post it.

I know, oil it, yada yada, but I dont have the time to oil and polish every thing that I own.

That's fine Aviator, it's doesn't sound like it was the right soltuion for you. The trade off with most searing grates is extra maintenance. They're not always ideal if you don't have the extra time to maintain them on a regular basis. Seasoning wears off and needs to be renewed on a regular basis with CI and Carbon Steel. They're not for everyone.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Salty Hogs BBQ
    Salty Hogs BBQ Posts: 171
    edited August 2012
    My CI and CS that I use a lot (pots, DFMT, Grillgrates, various grates/grids, etc.) need very little maintenance to clean, season, and keep rust off of them.  Very little at all.  That is what I like about them.
  • I don't think you can let Carbon Steel go as long without seasoning versus cast iron. I find the seasoning wears off quicker on Carbon Steel vs Cast Iron. That been my Expereince with woks. CI woks hold their seasoning longer with less reseasoning. I'm not sure about grates. The CGW2 is the first Carbon Steel grate I've encountered.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    CGW1 said:
    I do have my own forum.

Then use your own damn forum and stop using this forum as a driving force to pimp your wares (you have--look at that thread will you bump the thread time after time to the top after it left the first page telling everyone to talk more about it so it can stay on the front page).  Getting real old.  Maybe a call to corporate by a few will stop this guy from deliberately breaking the rules here.

Show some class like your competitor Tom.

Seriously?  If anything the mothership needs to address this with a vendor sponsored forum.  I see nothing wrong with the various vendors that frequent this forum from answering questions about their products and orders.  As with anything...if you don't like it - don't read it.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829

=))

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061

=))
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    YEMTrey said:

=))

Ahhh! You beat me by 20 minutes! My computer didn't refresh...
  • Wow - I have not checked in for a few days.  Getting ugly here.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Aviator said:

Rust rust rust.

Aviator,

I'm suprised you leave them outside when they're not in use for a long time. I would slay they down in oil, wrap them in a clear outdor recycle bag and move the to the garage or basement if the grates were not in use.

I do this with my CI grates and I've never had rust issues. I think Carbon steel would be much the same. Every product will come down to how well you care for it.

• That picture of the TRS-80 brings back some fond memories...
  • Aviator

I leave them in the egg when not in use. And I use the egg almost 3-4 times a week. Maybe a tad more. One does not expect to see rust with this use. I do take it out BEFORE each use and spray them.

Anyway, have to look into the AR. Still am not clear what all I would need.

Chattanooga, TN.

• I leave mine in a deck box.  No rain or dew hits it.  I don't oil it, I leave the grease on it and only knock off the crusty pieces after use.  Never had a problem.  Get moisture on dry steel or iron and you get rust.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • A few people from the other site have commented about the rust problems with this product in the past.
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    I haven't received any calls or emails regarding rust.

@ aviator I sent you a pm. Please call me so we can discuss this.
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • Aviator
    edited September 2012

Guys dont get me wrong. I was one of the most imaptient ones when Franco had to make em and we had to wait. Thats fine. But I also need to report back honestly, as far as my situation goes. Again, other individual experiences may vary.

I leave stuff in the egg after a cook and shut it down. Thats what I will do and will continue to do. I know after a chow I am too lazy. And this thing rusts. Is that a fair observation?

Chattanooga, TN.

• Salty Hogs BBQ
    edited September 2012
    Aviator said:

Guys dont get me wrong. I was one of the most imaptient ones when Franco had to make em and we had to wait. Thats fine. But I also need to report back honestly, as far as my situation goes. Again, other individual experiences may vary.

I leave stuff in the egg after a cook and shut it down. Thats what I will do and will continue to do. I know after a chow I am too lazy. And this thing rusts. Is that a fair observation?

Thanks for the honest evaluation of this product and not falling victim to groupthink. Others have commented on this also at the other sites. I know my products from ceramicgrillstore.com are low maintenance and never have rusted. Tom believes in using the best for his customers and not cutting corners.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Aviator said:

Thanks for the honest evaluation of this product and not falling victim to groupthink. Others have commented on this also at the other sites. I know my products from ceramicgrillstore.com are low maintenance and never have rusted. Tom believes in using the best for his customers and not cutting corners.
    We got you, you love Tom. Unreal. Go start your "I love Tom and hate Franco" thread already I-)

On another note, I normally use my egg several times a week and when done cooking, I wipe down with a wire brush and spray with oil on occasion. Due to the surgery, I have only used it once in 2 weeks. It's been sitting in the Egg and still looks good (Midwest weather). I know high temp cooks burn the oil off and I could see rust forming if you didn't oil it.

XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    carbon steel , cast iron and other forms of steel will rest even low grade 316 stainless will rust . Am a machinist and have worked with material that in the time it took to eat my lunch it had surface rust . high heat burns the seasoning off even a $200.00 cast iron pan will rust if not taken care of . the BGE cast iron rack will rust as well i know i have one it only takes a second to spray it with oil every once in awhile solved my problem with my BGE rack .my viking gasser had cast iron grids sat all winter and they rusted , to compare the two rack systems are unfair imho since they are made from two very different materials . just saying 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Salty Hogs BBQ
    edited September 2012
    I thought with so many people on here with their mouths open for Frankie that Tom deserved some loving also. Plus Frankies product has gotten bad reviews other places and people have a right to know the good and bad. Thanks for playing sarg.. Now get back in line with the rest of the cattle.
  • Sgt93
    bigphil said:
    carbon steel , cast iron and other forms of steel will rest even low grade 316 stainless will rust . Am a machinist and have worked with material that in the time it took to eat my lunch it had surface rust . high heat burns the seasoning off even a $200.00 cast iron pan will rust if not taken care of . the BGE cast iron rack will rust as well i know i have one it only takes a second to spray it with oil every once in awhile solved my problem with my BGE rack .my viking gasser had cast iron grids sat all winter and they rusted , to compare the two rack systems are unfair imho since they are made from two very different materials . just saying 
    Exactly. If you buy a cast iron or carbonized steel, you have to be willing to put in the effort to maintain it.
  • Sgt93
    I thought with so many people on here with their mouths open for Frankie that Tom deserved some loving also. Plus Frankies product has gotten bad reviews other places and people have a right to know the good and bad. Thanks for playing sarg.. Now get back in line with the rest of the cattle.
    You have something hanging off of your chin. Just saying. I have yet to see a post worth a crap from you troll. Speaking of which. I am going to drop off some Salty Hogs BBQ right now. 
  • Diptip
    Diptip Posts: 45
    edited September 2012
    Thanks all for bumping this thread to the top. No matter what the minority here says it looks like something I'll be picking up soon. I have the adjustable rig and love it but this looks perfect the my new egg. 
    In an idiots head.
  • I thought with so many people on here with their mouths open for Frankie that Tom deserved some loving also. Plus Frankies product has gotten bad reviews other places and people have a right to know the good and bad. Thanks for playing sarg.. Now get back in line with the rest of the cattle.
    You have something hanging off of your chin. Just saying. I have yet to see a post worth a crap from you troll. Speaking of which. I am going to drop off some Salty Hogs BBQ right now. 
    Thanks for playing. I win again and your not smart enough to realize it. No surprise there. Peace.    Love, exciting and new Come Aboard. We're expecting you. Love, life's sweetest reward. Let it flow, it floats back to you. Love Boat soon will be making another run The Love Boat promises something for everyone Set a course for adventure, Your mind on a new romance. Love won't hurt anymore It's an open smile on a friendly shore. Yes LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE! It's LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE! (hey-ah!) Love Boat soon will be making another run The Love Boat promises something for everyone Set a course for adventure, Your mind on a new romance. Love won't hurt anymore It's an open smile on a friendly shore. It's LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE! It's LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE! It's LOOOOOOOOOOOVE! It's the Love Boat-ah! It's the Love Boat-ah!
  • Hey Trevor, How's it hangin'

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sgt93
    Thanks for playing. I win again and your not smart enough to realize it. No surprise there. Peace.    Love, exciting and new Come Aboard. We're expecting you. Love, life's sweetest reward. Let it flow, it floats back to you. Love Boat soon will be making another run The Love Boat promises something for everyone Set a course for adventure, Your mind on a new romance. Love won't hurt anymore It's an open smile on a friendly shore. Yes LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE! It's LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE! (hey-ah!) Love Boat soon will be making another run The Love Boat promises something for everyone Set a course for adventure, Your mind on a new romance. Love won't hurt anymore It's an open smile on a friendly shore. It's LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE! It's LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE! It's LOOOOOOOOOOOVE! It's the Love Boat-ah! It's the Love Boat-ah!
    Whack job. Noted.