Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Jalepeno corn bread, trying to expand beyond pizza.

BudgeezerBudgeezer Posts: 522
edited August 2012 in Baking
First attempt @ baking something other than pizza. I was hoping that the top would have brown a little more. Heat cast iron with shortening to 425 then add batter and bake for 25 minutes.
Edina, MN

·

Comments

• paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,656
    @Budgeezer I'm interested to know your batter recipe

1cup flour
    1 cup cornmeal
    1/3 cup sugar
    1T baking powder
    1tsp salt
    Sift together
    add 1cup milk
    1beaten egg
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1/2 cup drained and diced jalapeno
    pour into hot cast iron skillet and bake 25 minutes or until brown
    Edina, MN

·
  • Mine's pretty much the same, except I use buttermilk instead of milk (makes it lighter), and 2 eggs instead of 1.  Also, I add an 11 oz. can of whole kernel corn and a cup of Monterrey Jack cheese.
    cornbread.jpg 114.9K
    Houston, Texas http://willsononline.com
    ·
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,656
    Thanks, I don't have buttermilk and could not find any at the grocery stores in the area.

• Mine's pretty much the same, except I use buttermilk instead of milk (makes it lighter), and 2 eggs instead of 1.  Also, I add an 11 oz. can of whole kernel corn and a cup of Monterrey Jack cheese.
    That is a beautiful cornbread!

1large BGE and 1 well used mini BGE living in coastal South and North Carolina!
    ·

• Budgeezer said:
    First attempt @ baking something other than pizza. I was hoping that the top would have brown a little more. Heat cast iron with shortening to 425 then add batter and bake for 25 minutes.

I want to try this out.  It looks great!

1large BGE and 1 well used mini BGE living in coastal South and North Carolina!
    ·
  • BuckeyeBobBuckeyeBob Posts: 648
    Bud, What size is the cast iron?
    Clarendon Hills, IL
    ·
  • BudgeezerBudgeezer Posts: 522
    paqman said:

Thanks, I don't have buttermilk and could not find any at the grocery stores in the area.

You can make your own buttermilk by adding.one teaspoon of white vinegar to one cup of milk.
    Edina, MN

·
  • BudgeezerBudgeezer Posts: 522

Bud,

What size is the cast iron?

8 quart.
    Edina, MN

·