Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New gasket install

AleBrewer
AleBrewer Posts: 555
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I decided today that I was going to install the High Que nomex gasket that's been sitting on the shelf for a few months now. Cleaning the old one off was the hardest part. I used a razor scraper and then hit the rims with a 3M disc in a die grinder. Plenty of Acetone to get it all clean. The new gasket goes on very easy. It has adhesive already on it, and no need to pre-shrink it if you apply it correctly(that's what High Que says anyway).

Couple pics of the OEM gasket:

I decided to remove the Egg from the table to make it easier to install the new gasket. And, I needed to install an additional support directly under the Egg. Some of the shelf boards were bending a bit under the weight.

A shot of the top all cleaned and ready to go:

A gratuitous shot of a new saw recently purchased to replace a 25yr old Craftsman miter saw:

And the new gasket all in place:

And....the mail woman dropped off a package from Amazon while I was working on the Egg. A new Lodge 7qt Dutch Oven and a new cover for Egg & Table:

Comments

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Nice post!

I've got to tackle mine soon as well I suppose.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    For anyone else reading this, if you go at the gasket while the egg is warm, it peels off really easy-peasy.

note: I said warm,
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Nice saw!
    Seattle, WA
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    tazcrash said:
    For anyone else reading this, if you go at the gasket while the egg is warm, it peels off really easy-peasy.

note: I said warm,

Appreciate the info. I just did a warranty claim on mine and will be changing it soon.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I have that same Lodge dutch oven.  You will love it and it is amazing how long it holds temp after being removed from the heat source.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Seems like a decent DO for the money. I have a few other smaller LeCreuset in 2.5 & 3.5 qt sizes( I think those are the sizes?) We also have a 4qt qt cast iron too. I really needed a larger one though. I went to a local LeCreuset outlet to look for a 6 or 7 qt one, and was shocked by the price.....$245! with 30% off would have been no real bargain either! I know I got both mine for really cheap about 10 yrs ago. So I found this one on Amazon....happy with the price, and I don't have to worry about putting an enameled pot into the Egg. I've done it before, and it always washes up, but it's more work than need be.

Speaking of LeCreuset prices.....someone(family) gave us the 15qt dutch oven they call a "Goose Pot"....this think is huge!....and very heavy too! I have cooked a few goose in it though. When I saw the price of that thing.....!!