Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs reheat in crockpot (before final glaze)

Options
Frachlitz
Frachlitz Posts: 17
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi, I am throwing a big b-day party Saturday. But I don't have enough space on my Large to do everything Saturday. So I have prepared ribs (2+2 at 275f) and have cooled them until Saturday. The plan is to reheat them In my slow cooker. But how? In bags and water? Or just in the pot? And for how long? After they are warm, I will give them sauce and give them 30 min on the egg to finish them. Hope somebody have some experience with this :-)
Griller from Denmark, Europe (BigGreenEgg Large, Weber Q300, Weber Gold 57cm)

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I think in bags in water would work. If you can vacuum seal them, great. If you have ordinary sealing plastic bags, you might put a little extra sauce or oil in the bag. That should help the meat to not be exposed to air.

The slow cooker should be filled w. water in the 60C - 82 range. Make sure the bags are all under water. Hold the bagged meat in the cooker until the bag is quite warm to the touch.

The time to re-heat in the Egg should be brief, 15 - 20 minutes tops.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options

I have never tried to break the cook up like this before but my thought would be if they are cooked to the tenderness level you want after the initial cook then just let them get to room temp and then sauce and put back on the egg.  Why mess with the slow cooker.

When storing them make sure they are wrapped tight in plastic wrap.  This will help prevent them from getting dried out in the fridge.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you fully cook them, you can warm them up in the oven, in foil - 350 F for 20 minutes, or until whatever temp you want them to be.  Then serve. That smoke taste will still be there.
    Options
    If you fully cook them, you can warm them up in the oven, in foil - 350 F for 20 minutes, or until whatever temp you want them to be.  Then serve. That smoke taste will still be there.

+1 I always make extra wings for the wife and me.  Put them in foil and we go 300 F for about 20 minutes and they are excellent.  This would be much easier than your planned method.
  • Frachlitz
    Options
    Hmm could be that i should use the oven.

They are cooked perfect. The wife and me grabed two for dinner (You CANT make ribs without a little taste ;-)
    They are made 2 hours at 275 f - no spray.
    Then 2 hours in foil with apple juice also at 275 f.
    This is where i have cooled them.

All they need is a 30 min glaze with BBQ sauce.
    Griller from Denmark, Europe (BigGreenEgg Large, Weber Q300, Weber Gold 57cm)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My brother worked in a rib joint, and that's pretty much what they did.  Just finished/reheated on the barbie.  Their ribs were locally famous (Tom's Ribs - it was a long time ago, don't know how they are anymore).