Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs

Options
RDMS
RDMS Posts: 3
edited August 2012 in Pork

Help!  This my second attempt at spare ribs and they were overcooked. I cooked indirect grate temp 225 for 3hrs. Was a large rack cut into and on rib rack. Put on rub with mustard. I did not think they would be over cooked in three hours. My baby backs came out perfect at three hours.

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• MOvikingsfan
    Options
    @ 225 for 3 hours they were definitely not done....my spares take at least 4-5 hours, and thats at 250.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    Not overcooked....just not done yet.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    +1 under-cooked. 
    Spares will take longer than BBs. 
    You need to cook further to soften, and moisten meat. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    With ribs (spares or BB) use the toothpick test (insert into the thickest hunk of meat and when no resistance in or out they are finished) or the bend test for whole racks-pick up with a set of tongs by one end and if they bend around 90* then they are good to go.  Definitely undercooked at that temp and time.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.