Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4th of July Rib expariment

Options
tankinmd
tankinmd Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks...[p]I have been a BGE user for 2 years now and have gotten some great ideas/advise on this forum...[p]So I thought I'd share my Rib expariment.... feel free to comment...[p]I got 3 racks of ribs from Cosco...[p]Cooked/smoked 'em in a large BGE for about 3 hrs at about 225 (soaked Jack Daniels chips for the smoke)....[p]removed 'em covered 'em and let sit over night in the fridge...[p]the next day I cooked them in a lagre crock pot on low for 4 hrs, in a sauce of 3/4 regular Bone Sucking sauce and 1/4 ginger garlic sauce, rearranging the stack every hour or so...[p]finished them off with a 10 min crisp under the broiler....[p]very flavorful, tender and moist...[p]a good meal was had by all...[p] I'm not sure how original this is... I simply attempted to combine my 2 favorite ways to cook...[p]Any thoughts - suggestions would be appreciated...[p]Thanks...[p]Tom Hilton

Comments

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    tankinmd,[p]The purists will tell you that what you did was heresy (ribs in a crockpot, indeed!).[p]But if they were delicious, and if they came out exactly the way you wanted, that's fantastic.[p]And now that I think about it, this is a great technique because it is easy -- a crockpot is very forgiving.[p]I have to admit that you are "thinking outside the Egg."
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    tankinmd,
    Glad to hear you have perfected your way of getting the ribs you like. Happy Q ing.[p]New Bob

• Unknown
    Options
    tankinmd,[p]Tank, Now I see why Zack Hilton, your Son who plays TE for the New Orleans saints has grew so big and playing TE in the NFL LOL. [p]Was Zack able to make it up to Maryland for the 4th cooking to get some of those ribs? Also I see you browse the BGE forum when you not on Saintsreport.com LOL Take care Mr. Hilton. Tell Zack good luck this season.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    tankinmd,
    I did a rib Eggsperiment, too. I had 5 racks of spareribs that I slathered with mustard and Dizzy Pig rub. I Egged them for 3 hours at 300 on an elevated grid over a plate setter and drip pan. I rotated them every 30 min.[p]After 3 hours, I took them out and wrapped them in heavy duty foil in two big packs. I made a concoction of iced tea, orange juice, bourbon, and honey. I poured this right into the packs, and set the packs back in the Egg for two hours. [p]I removed the foil packs from the Egg, removed the ribs from the packs, and removed the platesetter from the Egg. I laid the ribs directly on the grid for another hour, turning and rotating them twice.[p]The meat was falling off the bone, and was incredibly moist. I boiled down the sauce and served it along with a barbecue sauce, but everyone seemed to like them "dry". They were incredibly flavorful without any added sauce at all. [p]I'll definitely do this again, though prepping them and getting that dang membrane off was just the pits. Took me forever.[p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Gretl,
    I love the recipe.
    Just an idea about removing the membrane from the ribs.
    Raise the corner of the membrane. Put a little salt on the tips of your fingers, and use this to give you a grip when you pull off the membrane, it is much more effective than using a cloth.
    Roger

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    Gretl,[p]It's easier to get the membrane off when the ribs are really cold. Also, try sliding a butter knife along one of the bones.
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    irishrog,
    Thanks for the suggestions. It was a wrestling contest for sure, and I nearly lost.[p]Where are you from? My husband's 100% Irish; we visited in 2004 and in 2000. We would love to return.[p]Cheers,
    Gretl