Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frankfurt, Germany

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

We're taking a trip to Frankfurt this week (work related, Mrs. G will have to put in a few hours every day) and I've been doing some research, but then I figured, why not ask here? Has anybody been? Can you recommend places to eat and what foods we should try? Things to do? Apparently they are famour for their Apfelwein (like an apple cider), not so much for their local beer (although I'm sure there will be plenty of other German beers to drink). We'll be there for about a week and we're really looking forward to it. Would love to hear some recommendations if you got any.

And just in case you follow my blog regularly, don't think I've abandoned you. I've lined up 4 or 5 (still waiting on the fifth) of my favorite bloggers to do guest posts for me while we're gone. One of them being a regular around these hereparts, Chris at Nibble Me This. Should be interesting to see what they are cooking up.

Anyway, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    You might want to stay away from the area immediately surrounding the main railway station, some might consider it a tourist attraction, some might be offended.

Gerhard
  • Mama Roneck
    Options
    I've spent a lot of time there and there's great food to be found.  Local wines are also very, very good.  You'll want to go to one of the traditional spots like Wagner in Sachnsenhausen.  Mixed pork platter will give you elevated cholesterol, but also lots of ideas for your next egg cooks when you get home.  Unfortunately, unless you live near a German butcher, you'll be hard pressed to find the same quality of sausages and wursts here in the US :-(  There are several other traditional German places around town, so you can try a few and decide your favorite.

It's a pretty international and diverse city, so you'll find lots of other great cuisines too.  There are several good Italian, Japanese, and Turkish restaurants in town.  I haven't been in about 4 years, so you may be better off checking with concierge or or local friends to find out the best ones.

Things to do: if you have the time, a Rhein river cruise would be worthwhile. If you're a sports fan, Eintracht Frankfurt is back in the 1st division Bundesliga this season and open against Bayer Leverkusen this weekend.  No better spot to take in the local flavor than a soccer match. The modern art museum is also pretty interesting.  If you're feeling really ambitious, rent a car and drive der Romantische Straße (Romantic Road), at least to Rothenburg, which is about 2 hours south of Frankfurt.  It's an amazing old city that was substantially rebuilt after the war.   There are more similar cities and castles to see along the way and past Rothenburg - all well worth the drive if you have the time.

And enjoy the Apfelwein, lots of Apfelwein. I'm guessing it doesn't travel well, which is why it's hard to find outside of the region, so enjoy it while you're there!
    Mamaroneck
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Griffin: memorize this phase: "koennen Sie mir sagen wie ich zur hauptbahnhof komme?" or at least someplace "in der naehe des bahnhofs?'   I-)

Mama Roncek: not sure where you live, but this shop is in the boston area, for those interested:
    great great great place. i haven't been to the new location. but the old place was fantastic

http://www.karlssausage.com/
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Last time I lived in Germany was 1956-1959 and we lived in Darmstadt about 60k away. I think the Army has closed that base. Only 11 when we came back so can't help much. HAVE FUN my friend.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Options

@Mama Roneck - Wagner had already made it on my list of places to go. Thanks for confirming it. I hadn't even thought about going to a soccer game, what kind of idiot am I? That sounds like fun, hope they play in the rain cuz that's what the weather forecsat is looking like.  

@stike - can I get a translation? I'm not quite sure I trust you and I'll end up saying something that might get me slapped. ;)

Thanks @Mickey. We'll take lots of pictures and share when we get back.

Rowlett, Texas

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Safe travels... we will be watching for pictures! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Griffin
    Options

I aplogize @stike. That is actually a pretty helpful phrase.

Rowlett, Texas

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i was (trying) to provide the phrase that got you to the place gerhardt said might offend people.
    >what is the sound of a joke falling flat?<
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mama Roneck
    Options
    @griffin - Lucky for you, the old Waldstadion was rebuilt for the 2006 World Cup, so there's a retractable roof if you decide to watch the Fußball. It's actually a pretty neat roof since it retracts into the center scoreboard like an umbrella - I haven't seen one like that here.

@stike - Will have to look for that shop next time I get up there. And bring a cooler!
    Mamaroneck
  • texbagger
    Options
    Have a Pils for me!  Frankfurt is a wonderful city.  Go to the Romer Platz straight away but Sachenhausen is the best!  Try Schweinhochs potatoes and kraut.  Frankfurt has a specialty of Green Eggs as an appetizer.  Do not, repeat, do not go to the Frankfurt Zoo unless you want to be depressed.  Kangaroo Club/Restaurant in the financial district has real Kangaroo dinner, it's not bad. It's near the big brass bull statue.  Also you may enjoy Cuban cigars all over Europe if so inclined.

Enjoy it my friend!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Lived in Heidelberg for 7 years ('73-'81).  Was a young school lad who played in a local municipal German band who happened to have the oldest clarinet player in Germany.  The director was the American school band director on base.  95% of the band was German, a few Americans. I remember playing at festivals in small towns, usually hosted by some club and the local brewery.  Our band was paid, so we traveled a lot.  As one of the youngest players in the band (around 13-15 yo through my tenure), my fellow German band members didn't think twice about keeping my glass filled with beer. 

My liver wants to blame them, but I think it's my German and Irish heritage for my life-long love of all things brewed, distilled and fermented.

Anyway, even though that was a while back, my recommendation is: look for small-town, off-the-beaten-path festivals, maybe around the Frankfurt burbs...places where you don't find tourists.  I think that's where you really get a taste of the German equivalent of "tailgating" and their middle class culture.
    Options
    i was (trying) to provide the phrase that got you to the place gerhardt said might offend people.
    >what is the sound of a joke falling flat?<
    Or just ask for the "stairs". Get a dohner kebab or two or three, plenty of schwarzbier, dunkel, and kolsch if you can find it.