Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Done?

QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a 10 pound brisket on - internal temp of the "fat" part is 192.  When I stick a fork in it, it slides in easily.  However when I do the same to the flat, there is still some resistance.  I think it isn't done yet.  What do the experts here think?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Let it ride to 197 and take it off. Better to be too tender than too tough.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I just checked with a thermapen and it is showing the flat at 182 and the fat part at 187.  The brisket has only been on 8 hours at an average temp of 250.  Thoughts?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    The flat is the way to determine doneness (word?).  When you can probe the thickest part of the flat with no resistance you are there-and it's temp will be several degrees less than the point when that happens.  Somewhere in the 185-200*F range.  Enjoy-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    A 10 pound brisket would take between 10 and 20 hours.  The point is always hotter due to the fat content.  Sounds like it has just come out of the stall and will probably climb  in temperature 'quickly' so keep an eye on it.  Test for tenderness with a fork and pull when it is ready.  For me, this has been between 195 and 205 (thermapen measurement).
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • I agree with Barry, I pull my briskets for comp. between 195 & 206 it really comes down to feel of the prob going in and out of the flat. This will take some time and a few briskets to learn. Good luck and have fun!