Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do YOU start your BGE?

Options
2»

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I start my charcoal using 91% alcohol purchased at Walmart. I use a pencil to poke a tiny hole in the seal and then  squirt a little alcohol in 4 places in a circle about 4 inches in from the outside rim of the charcoal. Then a little squirt in the center.  Wait a few seconds then toss in a match.

Alcohol burns clean and quickly starts the charcoal. It is very safe as long as you stand back a little when dropping in the match.  The warmer the day, the more  it evaporates before lighting and can cause a flash.  In the winter, it doesn't evaporate and I actually have to hold the match at the squirt points.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    Weed burner
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• tactical_66
    Options
    I use fire. Alcohol, fire starters and sometimes paper towels with canola oil
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options

So far just using bge starters. But cut in half as others have said. They work well, but are amazingly expensive. 

If you want cheap and easy, consider the electric starter.  It will cost you $8 and will last for years.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Options

@hogsfan clever idea! I always used to hate the newspaper ash mess when I used my CS for my water smoker.
    Yep. The mess is a thing of the past.  I also don't have to keep matches or a lighter around. ...but honestly, the main reason I do this is because it's so much faster.  
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Options
    All of the above.  Most often electric for indirect.  Chimney for direct when I want hot coals uniform across the firebox for something like a mess of burgers.  Electric plus stir today for spatchcocked chicken direct and raised.  Cubes get costly but there is certainly something to be said for the extra time it takes which provides more "me time".  I have not used alcohol but it's on my list.  I need some to make more blue-ice for the beverage cooler and I'll give what's left a try as starter.
    My actuary says I'm dead.