Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

getting my first (large) BGE this week

jccampb
jccampb Posts: 4
edited August 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I know it will come with the plate setter and the cradle but I'm looking for whatever else I should be getting (even as an extra) .  i see references to a spring loaded lid, (and have no idea if that's standard or an option and how important it is)
I also saw some sort of cart / handcart / lifting assembly somewhere that I gather attaches to the cradle but I can't find it again to save my life ... nor do I know how valuable it is.
I see all manner of goodies on Amazon, like a stainless fire grate or sommat and a shovel shaped like the fire chamber, etc.
can any of you folks comment for me on what of the above i should be looking for (or not) and or other stuff that I've missed.
My main applications will be slow smoking (not in direct flame, for pulled pork and pulled lamb) but i'm sure that list will expand.
Any advice will be gratefully accepted. thanks in advance! jccampb

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    First off welcome and congratulations on your purchase. Look at remote digital thermometers like a maverick ET-732 or comparable unit. That and a way to cook indirect are the two things you'll need for low n slow. On a side note,  I had to purchase a platesetter separate as mine didn't come with egg purchase. Also be sure to check out The Ceramic Grill Store for some really cool extras.
  • Mine didn't come with the plate setter -- was about $50 extra.  A must-have with your Egg.  I use my grill tong/grabber quite a bit.  And investing in an Egg cover is a good idea.  I went ahead and got the Egg cover, it was pricey but it's weatherproof and looks great.  I also got a Maverick themometer -- worth the $.  I took a cheaper one back to the store after it didn't work.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534

I love to buy toys for my Eggs.  I might not use them all a lot, but like a kid in a candy store, I keep buying.  Here is a list of what I have (I'm sure I forgot some things).

Stoker (love it)

Splash-proof Thermapen (Yellow)

Maverick ET-732

Custom Razorback handle (Mike's dad custom made it for me--Awesome work)

Custom gridlifter by LawnRanger (I love this tool)

High Que Fire Grate

Adjustable Rig

Spider

Pizza stone (13" and 16")

Half pizza stone (to cook direct and indirect at the same time)

Large oval stone (great for when I cook ribs)

Sliding grid system (3 tiers)(Ceramic Grill Store--great place to buy Egg accessories--I bought a lot I recommended on this post from them)

Rack Extender (which allows me to add another tier)

Small cast iron grid for spider (great for getting steaks close to the lump to sear)

Stainless steel grid

Wok

Grill Grates (love these)

New Tel-Tru Big Green Egg Temperature Gauge

Third hand

Wiggle rod

Frogmats

Various BBQ tools (too many to list)

MAPP torch

Cast Iron Ovens, Pots, and Skillets

I have more, but that is what I can think of right now.  I use everything and love them all.  I always research what other Eggers have used and get their recommendations.

I have a large and small Egg and to be honest I love to buy toys for them.  Everyone has their hobbies and the Big Green Egg/BBQing is one of my main ones.  Love to try new products.

I can recommend everything I listed above.  I use everything.

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    I also have a plate setter, but use the adj rig setup a lot more.  I agree with the guy above. While you don't need a cover for the Egg, I do like to cover mine (peace of mind).  The BGE cover is really nice and ventilated.  Pricey, but I highly recommend it.  Nicely made.
  • jccampb
    you guys are GRATE (Pun intended) this is SO valuable ... I'm going Monday or tuesday to get it from Clements Hardware in Severna Park, Md. and with all this help I'll have time to sort out what to add and which to buy locally, or Amazon or the other fellow you all like so much... jccampb
    :))
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited August 2012
    You can go nuts with the egg, and you will. But to start, plate setter, remote thermometer for low and slows, ash tool. That is all that you NEED. Don't bother with the ash shovel if you have a good shop vaccum. This is the easiest way to clean the egg. I use Drywall bags in mine. The ash tool is one that I use every time. I stir the cold lump from the previous cook to knock off the extra ash. I also use it to stir the lump after the fire is going.

You will find that this thing is the best pizza oven so I would go for a pizza stone and a pizza peel. A pair of insulated gloves are also a good thing to have on hand. I use Ove Gloves. Others use welders gloves, amongst other things.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • defCon5
    defCon5 Posts: 16
    @cortguitarman Nice tip on the shopvac.
  • I got a BGE cover that was supposed to keep out rain, be breathable and so on...-well my egg and inside of the cover were soaked. My other egg has a cover from the cover store. It did not have a bit of dampness on my egg or inside the cover. They sit side-by-side. I ordered a cover from the cover store to replace it with...it is a much better product and less expensive. 7 yr warranty. Now my daisy wheel is rusty from the one w/BGE cover...I rec AGAINST the BGE and for the COVER STORE brand. I have used on other products such as outdoor furniture down through the years and have never been disappointed.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Thanks  jccampb for your original post. I too am new to this foram and planning on buying a BGE this fall had had the same questions you asked. Looks like this is a great place to get all your questions answered.

Thanks again

• jccampb
    as you can see these people are VERY helpful!! 
    did anyone have a clew about the 'spring loaded lid' issue? ..i gather it's an option not a stock part of the normal grill? Do they cost much?  worth it?
    and the other thing was this apparatus i saw once and then stupidly didn't bookmark it that looks like it attaches to the cradle as an assist in moving the whole thing. Anyone know about this? jccampb
  • forget the moving thing...pull (no pushing-risk tipping) your egg VERY carefully across your deck or patio. I asked the same thing of my dealer who said "they are just trying to sell you something else". I would wait to see how much you really think you need it after you've had your egg several weeks. I think all lids are spring loaded. I have lg and med-they both are...
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • A cover too keep prying eyes off your egg :)
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    All lids are in fact spring loaded.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    drywall bag?  What kind of shop vac do you have?  I have to clean the filter after using it for ash.  My Festool vac is immune to ash, but I don't want to drag that out.  I use the Festool vac to clean the ash out of the filter of the shop vac.
    I have a simple 16 gallon Craftsman. They sell the Drywall bags at Lowes. I use them with my table saw too because my Ridgid contractor saw only has a 2 1/2" port. Still trying to configure a 4" port for the saw. Haven't found any good ideas.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • jccampb
    O.K. one more thought ...I'm going for the PS-Woo ring  (with the Plate Setter for the Large egg) and the remote thermometer and the stainless fire grate from High Que to start with. (Saturday!!!). I know that I'm going to end up smoking / cooking everything under the sun on this unit but my primary focus is going to be Slow smoked Lamb and pork shoulder for (respectively) Pulled Lamb and Pulled Pork and slow cooking whole chickens and turkey.
    are there any specific things I need to add to my initial acquisition to deal with these menu items?
    jccampb