Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to get a good fire going

Marilynb
Marilynb Posts: 1
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have trouble starting the BGE, help!

Comments

• For starters what are you using for lump, and how are you starting it and at what point do you close the lid.
  • It shouldn't be that hard. Fill the fire box with lump. Think air and fuel. Make sure lower vent and top are wide open. Lots of ways to start the fire, cubes work, 91% alcohol works, paper towel with cooking oil works and more. Then light it up if you are using new lump wait until the smoke clears before you put food on. Don't rush it. Give it 20 - 30 minutes to burn and you should be fine.
  • Bullhalsey
    Bullhalsey Posts: 108
    Two words.... Chimney Starter
  • I use one small blue butane torch from home depot.  I heat the coals in 2-3 spots for ~60 seconds each.  The I crank the leaf blower and just let it idle and blow into to bottom vent.  I stand back approx 10-15 feet.  You will get he feel for it.  Gets it hot in a hurry.  Just be carful of the ash if you have cooked on the coals already.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I use one small blue butane torch from home depot.  I heat the coals in 2-3 spots for ~60 seconds each.  The I crank the leaf blower and just let it idle and blow into to bottom vent.  I stand back approx 10-15 feet.  You will get he feel for it.  Gets it hot in a hurry.  Just be carful of the ash if you have cooked on the coals already.
    I do this minus the leaf blower, might run a little longer than 60 depends.
    Seattle, WA
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    I just grabbed a bottle of alcohol to try it out. Fire starts out strong then goes out. Do yo let it soak in or liGht imeadeately after putting the alcohol on? I am doing something wrong.
    George
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    edited August 2012
    If you want to cheat to get fires lit or achieve super high temps, and you have a power source nearby, and don't want to spend real money, get one of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062283

a 90mm 12v fan, 12v DC transformer, a few other misc parts, and build this:

imageimageimage

This sits nicely on the egg table up against the bottom vent.  It's something I had lying around from a previous use...it's even got adjustable voltage / speed control.  I haven't had to use it recently, but if I'm in a hurry or am having a hard time getting the lump lit, this is the solution.

Radio Shack spare parts stoker.  :)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited August 2012
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos That is for a large. DO NOT use in the Mini (that is what a Mapp Tourch is for). Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I use a chimney starter.  I have a gas grill that has a side burner that I had never used before and someone I worked with suggested using that to start my charcoal.  It works great and I don't have to light paper. 

On a side note, have you ever cleaned your egg?  The holes can get clogged and your fire will go out without proper air flow. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I just grabbed a bottle of alcohol to try it out. Fire starts out strong then goes out. Do yo let it soak in or liGht imeadeately after putting the alcohol on? I am doing something wrong.
    I start my charcoal using 91% alcohol purchased at Walmart. I use a pencil to poke a tiny hole in the seal and then  squirt a little alcohol in 4 places in a circle about 4 inches in from the outside rim of the charcoal. Then a little squirt in the center.  Wait a few seconds then toss in a match.

Alcohol burns clean and quickly starts the charcoal. It is very safe as long as you stand back a little when dropping in the match.  The warmer the day, the more  it evaporates before lighting and can cause a flash.  In the winter, it doesn't evaporate and I actually have to hold the match at the squirt points.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    That is exactly what I do, it burns like hell then goes out.
    George
  • JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    I have tried:
    Fire starter squares
    Small blue butane  torch
    91% alcohol
    2 paper towels lightly soaked in vegetable oil

And the winner is.........paper towels in oil.   My least successful was alcohol but all the others work fine but the paper towels/oil  works better and faster even and is easy.   
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Wait till you see a fair amount of glow around where you put the cubes, towels with oil, etc. then shut the lid with the bottom wide open and the DW off...
    Hmm, I use the BGE paraffin squares, and close the lid right away, don't wait until the coals are lit.

And one thing I do that I know is different from most:  I always start the fire just with the remaining lump in the egg from the last cook; once I see a fair amount of glow then I dump in fresh lump, if needed.  I figure the volatiles (bad smoke) will be driven off quicker if the fire is burning from below, rather than from above.   

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• cralle
    cralle Posts: 3
    I just started using a looftlighter. I light the lump in 2 or 3 spots for a minute and it's good to go in about 10 minutes.
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    I light the deck on fire and wait until the heat ignites the lump in the egg. If that does not work I fill an old champange bottle halfway with gasoline and gelatin, stuff an oil soaked rag in the opening. Light the rag and toss it into the egg, stand back a little though, you don't want any to splash on you, it is kinda sticky. If all else fails, I resort to hairspray and a lighter.
  • JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    I light the deck on fire and wait until the heat ignites the lump in the egg. If that does not work I fill an old champange bottle halfway with gasoline and gelatin, stuff an oil soaked rag in the opening. Light the rag and toss it into the egg, stand back a little though, you don't want any to splash on you, it is kinda sticky. If all else fails, I resort to hairspray and a lighter.
    What octane gasoline do you prefer? Can it be unflavored gelatin?
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    87 seems to light off the easiest. Gelatin flavor depends on what will go on the egg. I reccomend apple and cherry for pork.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited August 2012
    What octane gasoline do you prefer? Can it be unflavored gelatin?
    More importantly, do you prefer gasoline with corn in it?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• i use the BGE electric fire starter and the BGE eggcellerator   i picked the electric firestarter up on craigslist brand new for $20 and the eggcellerator was included with a XL bge i bought  i kept the eggcellerator when i sold the XL because it was too big for my balcony
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    I made this to get air flowing quickly
    XL   Walled Lake, MI