Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5-6 slabs advice on LBGE without double/elevated grill top

Options
Fishhateme
Fishhateme Posts: 5
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hey all,

I recognize this newbie needs to get the raised "woo" thingy for double level cooks/smokes to double cooking surface, but in meantime, I'm in a bind.  My wife wants me to do about half a dozen slabs for her family this weekend.   I have a vertical rib rack but I think it will be kind of cramped to have this many slabs on my LBGE.   Is it okay to pack them in there, so to speak, for a low/slow cook?   Is there a recommended way to jury rig something in the meantime with an extra stainless grill top?

Any suggestions until I am properly accessorized for the task at hand?   Thanks. 

Jeff S. 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    stand 4 racks up on the rib rack and lay 2 across the top and rotate a couple times
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    the rib rack is fine for 6 slabs, I've done it before. 
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    The rib rack is fine.  You want to have just enough room between the slabs for air to flow between them so they can get the heat and get done at the same time.  

Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • BigGreenMike
    Options
    I just did my first cook last weekend and it was 6 slabs of ribs.  I used the rib rack for the LBGE and the rack holds exactly 6.  The only thing you may want to do is check the length of the slab before getting going, you may need to cut off a rib or 2 and lay them on the grate. I left mine as is and they were a tad too long so i had to bend them a bit and got the gasket a little dirty (but it is gonna get dirty)...enjoy
  • Fishhateme
    Options
    Cool...I'll just pile the 6 into the rib rack.   Thanks all!
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    You really do not need a "woo-thingy". This is what I did.  5" stainless steel bolts, washers and wing-nuts to adjust it up and down.  Next smaller size grid.  Got all of it at Ace Hardware for about $20.00.

Works perfect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I've been trying to search for that picture of somebody rolling up and cramming like 25 racks of ribs on an Egg. Anybody have that pic? Or know what I'm talking about? All I could find was somebody who rolled up 6 racks. Anyway, rolling them up is another option. I've never tried it myself.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hogman348
    Options
    My experience with the rib rack with multiple slabs was the meat was touching (pretty big slabs). Since my first time doing Multi-slabs i closed the lid and didnt open for 4 hours. Anywhere the ribs were touching they were soft and still had mustard base on them. I was pretty disappointed.

I would make sure they are not touching and possibly switch them around some during the cook.

good luck. i would like to hear how it goes.
    Woodstock, GA
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos this was 8 on my XL turned out great switched them around whilst cooking.
    Lynnwood WA