Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE medium for sale on CL what should I offer?

michigan_jason
michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Guy is asking $650, I called him and it is allegedly 2 weeks old and bought for him as a gift. No receipt :/ I told him I could get a brand new one from the dealer for that price or lower and he asked what I would offer him. He will for sure go lower. He said it comes with the shelves and some other stuff he doesn't know what it is though. He says he really needs the money and will take an offer. Told me he was originally going to put it up for 200-300 but his friend told him they were expensive and to try to get more. It seems semi/too good to be true, but I will make sure to bring semi-auto backup to be safe.

Thanks.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• misu
    misu Posts: 213
    offer $500 and settle on $550
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I got a used NIB lg with nest and other goodies for $425.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Stress the value of the lifetime warranty. Explain that the egg loses its premium price when it doesn't have the warranty.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I for sure mentioned the warranty, that is when he said, "well, what would you pay?"

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Man I wouldn't pay him 500$ prolly not even 450$

Warrenty is a big deal and just te used market puts this in the 400's I'd say.

If he NEEDS the money hed prolly take 400$ which I guess is fair and a decent deal for you. Not a steal tho. You can buy a new one for prolly under 600 if you shopped around. New with warrenty. 300 would be a steal.

XLBGE 

• Stress the value of the lifetime warranty. Explain that the egg loses its premium price when it doesn't have the warranty.
    Yeah... and then clunk him over the head with the semi-auto and get the whole thing for a five finger discount.

:))
    Lol....

• misu said:

offer $500 and settle on $550

You can buy new from dealer for this much.

XLBGE 
  • I was thinking about $300

• I was thinking about $300

Yea. I think that'd make it stupid to not buy if you can get him there. I'm all about the warrenty. I know a lot would argue that but these are grills I am going to keep forever and unless it's a steal I can always buy new if I need another egg.

XLBGE 
  • That's my thing exactly, I have an xl and a large, im really only going to buy this if I can get it for a steal. I just want to complete my egg family and this will get me one step closer lol. Plus this guy can transport even easier than the large.

• Just called and offered $300, told him to try to get more, but that is as high as I can go without a warranty. Said he would call if he doesn't sell it. I said cool, I don't need it, but will take it at that price and just to let me know. If he calls cool, if not, ohh well.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

Just called and offered $300, told him to try to get more, but that is as high as I can go without a warranty. Said he would call if he doesn't sell it. I said cool, I don't need it, but will take it at that price and just to let me know. If he calls cool, if not, ohh well.

As I was reading I was about to post $300 too. If it was a limited warranty, say 5 yrs, I would say more, but to me lifetime warranty is huge
  • If the warranty has not been registered, can I register it? When I registered my large, I didnt need to show the receipt of anything...

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If it was a gift and he knows the dealer it came from, and it's unregistered, you should be able to accurately fill out the registration form and get the warranty.  Brand new in box, right?

• nolaegghead
    I doubt it's registered if it hasn't been removed from the box (you need the serial number from the top of the dome). 

If you can fill this registration out accurately and it comes from an authorized dealer, as a gift, I think you're good.

• misu
    misu Posts: 213
    For some reason I missed the "medium" in the title and I was thinking it's a large, yeah much lower than that. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited August 2012
    Hmm My hamster is running... If NIB and was a gift I wonder if u could register the warrenty.... Cause if I was to buy my father in law an egg he would register the warrenty. But if he didn't want it surely my brother could compensate me, take the egg home open it an register the warrenty.... This is all hypothetical.

XLBGE 
  • $300 take it or leave it is what I'd say.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    It is probably stolen anyways.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257

I'm pretty sure BGE's website says for warranty claims even after it's registered they require a copy of the original sales receipt.  I never officially registered my large, and I have done warranty claims on the plate setter, the gasket, and bottom cast iron fire grate with no problems, but these claims were through the dealer that sold me the egg. FWIW.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • I'm pretty sure BGE's website says for warranty claims even after it's registered they require a copy of the original sales receipt.  I never officially registered my large, and I have done warranty claims on the plate setter, the gasket, and bottom cast iron fire grate with no problems, but these claims were through the dealer that sold me the egg. FWIW.

Hmm well I sure don't know where my receipt is....

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    How often does the receipt come with a gift?  Register it as a gift - it was a gift.  List the original store (authorized dealer) it was purchased from.  I'm sure BGE tracks the serial numbers to their dealers. 

Straight from BGE's website under warranty info:

8. DATE OF COVERAGE: The Warranty coverage begins when an EGG purchased from an Authorized Dealer is registered at BigGreenEgg.com by the original purchaser or owner as required under this Warranty. If you are unable to register your EGG at the website, an Authorized Dealer can provide a form to complete and mail to BGE. A valid proof of purchase receipt from an Authorized Dealer will be required to make a Warranty claim.

11. INFORMATION REQUIRED FOR CLAIM: A purchase receipt showing date of purchase and name of Authorized Dealer from which the EGG or other BGE product was purchased must be provided with any Warranty claim, along with an accurate description of the problem or the defective part. For Warranty purposes, an original purchaser is the person whose name appears on the purchase receipt and who has registered their BGE Warranty as required.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I recently got an almost new large with nest, composite shelves, extra daisy wheel and rain stopper, and green feet for 400.00. The original gasket was still grey.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    NIB with the warranty?

I say clunk him...
    LOL =)) =))
    Large, small, and a mini