Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ahhhh. Football in the air....

Options
MissingToof
MissingToof Posts: 46
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
You know it's football season when the peanuts start arriving at the market.... Got a 7lb brisket on the Egg and 5lbs of peanuts on the boiler... Sitting on the patio with an adult beverage getting ready to watch some preseason NFL junk, but at least it's football! Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
HOTTY TODDY!

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Brisket looks great.  Boiled peanuts, ugh.  I've tried them a couple of times and just don't like them. 
  • MissingToof
    Options
    You must not be from the South?
    HOTTY TODDY!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Love boiled peanuts and go Panthers
    Greensboro, NC
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    Boiled peanuts are the best!!!! Go pack and raiders.
  • MissingToof
    Options
    Ok I've been in the stall with the brisket now for a good 4 hours, moving to the crutch, suggestions on temp I should put the Egg?
    HOTTY TODDY!
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Options
    Brisket looks great.  Boiled peanuts, ugh.  I've tried them a couple of times and just don't like them. 

That's crazy talk!
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    Options
    Love the boiled peanuts, and yes, I'm a southern boy.   Around my area you cant swing a dead cat without hitting a couple of boiled peanut stands.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Boiled peanuts taste like pinto beans to me...although I do like the spicy ones. They taste like spicy pinto beans.  :-bd
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    OK, being a "yankee" never heard of boiled peanuts. 

Please elaborate!!! 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Gunstock
    Gunstock Posts: 16
    Options
    Sorry Wolfpack!
  • Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    Options
    @taxcrash boil fresh peanuts until tender with water and salt. I only use green peanuts for my boils.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Sorry Wolfpack!

Yep- defense looked pretty bad Hope they get better or going to be a long year
    Greensboro, NC
  • LongboardR
    LongboardR Posts: 101
    Options
    Goobers look great! Go Gators! Go SEC Football!
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    I'm a Connecticut Yankee - but my mom shipped me off to the University of South Carolina back in the 80's.  First time eating boiling peanuts - hmmmm, strange indeed.  But it got me!  I love 'em!  None here in Richmond, VA, but I do get me some whenever I go see some SEC ball!  Go 'cocks!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Love the boiled peanuts, and yes, I'm a southern boy.   Around my area you cant swing a dead cat without hitting a couple of boiled peanut stands.

Question: do you actually saynthatnor did you get from Aziz or that cruise commercial? Go Pack Go How 'bout dem Dawgs And I love boiled peanuts.
    Boom
  • banjoman
    banjoman Posts: 51
    Options
    Missingtoof, what are the Rebels going to do this year?  How do you like Freeze?
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    This is what football means to this old codger. Tailgating with as many as 50 friends and family. Enjoying adult beverages b4 and after the game. Eatin' stuff that folks bring to share. Butt's, Brisket all cooked on BGE's. Boiled peanuts and  low country boils. So many snacks and stuff all homemade that if you go hungry its ur own fault. Almost forgot burgers, dogs, brats that we allow to be cooked on a gasser. Every tailgate is an adventure in WAR EAGLE country. Win or lose we all come back every Saturday till the season ends.

Opelika, Alabama
  • IronEgg55
    IronEgg55 Posts: 8
    edited August 2012
    Options

Go BLUUUUUUUUEEEE
  • elkriver
    Options
    Roll Tide!  Looking forward to the opening game with the big BLUE!  YEMTrey- it will be a good one.
  • Outcast
    Options

Question: do you actually saynthatnor did you get from Aziz or that cruise commercial? Go Pack Go How 'bout dem Dawgs And I love boiled peanuts.
    Which part, the dead cat ?  If so then yes, I do say that.  Picked it up from my grandmother.  Georgia born and raised.  Go Dawgs.
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    The peanuts look intriguing to a guy that was born in Chicago to an entire family raised In Northern Alabama! Are the peanuts simply boiled in water with no spices or syrups and for how long? I am a Bama fan though, staying true to my roots and of course a Bears fan for 40 plus years!
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    Rammer Jammer Yellowhammer, Give 'em Hell Alabama!!!
    Roll Tide Roll
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    UMiami: Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, C - A - N - E -S, 'CANES !!!! 
  • MissingToof
    Options
    @banjoman, we've got a long ways to go before we will be competitive again. Freeze is a great guy, great leader of young men, and a great motivator. I don't about his coaching skills at this level, only time will tell. But regardless, I'll be in the Grove, enjoying an atmosphere that is found no where else but in Oxford, MS!
    HOTTY TODDY!
  • Outcast
    Options
    The peanuts look intriguing to a guy that was born in Chicago to an entire family raised In Northern Alabama! Are the peanuts simply boiled in water with no spices or syrups and for how long? I am a Bama fan though, staying true to my roots and of course a Bears fan for 40 plus years!
      Traditionally they are just green peanuts boiled in salted water.  I've also had boiled peanuts that were boiled with spices as well [no idea what] to make them hot and spicy.  When they are done, they have the texture of a cooked bean. 
  • LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Options
    If you want some good cajun style boiled peanuts, have some handy the next time you do a low country boil. after you get all your shrimp, corn, etc out, drop a load of peanuts in and boil em up. fantastic.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Roll Tide!  Looking forward to the opening game with the big BLUE!  YEMTrey- it will be a good one.
    Can't wait.  These are the days that Egging and beer were created for!

There's a good chance that I may have a possible CenTex moment and hit the boards while in an altered state of mind!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Options
    It's all about the "U"!!  

Ok, found this recipe with a quick google search, but can't vouch for how good it is.  Although it does have pretty high reviews.  Living in Georgia we do love our boiled nuts!  :)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/rachaels-superheated-cajun-boiled-peanuts/Ingredients1 pound raw peanuts, in shells1 (3 ounce) package dry crab boil (such as Zatarain's® Crab and Shrimp Boil)1/2 cup chopped jalapeno peppers1 tablespoon garlic powder1/2 cup salt2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning1/2 cup red pepper flakes

Directions

1. Place peanuts, crab boil, jalapenos, garlic powder, salt, Cajun seasoning, and red pepper flakes into a slow cooker. Pour in water to cover the peanuts and stir to combine. Cover and cook on Low until peanuts are soft, at least 24 hours. Stir occasionally, and add water as needed to keep peanuts covered. Drain; serve hot or cold.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • MissingToof
    Options
    I usually just add a good dose of red pepper flakes and some Zatarain's Crab Boil Oil if I want to spice them up!
    HOTTY TODDY!