Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork ribs or baby backs

robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Debating on tomorrows cook. Pork ribs are on sale at one of the local grocery stores for $1.99 per pound. I have never cooked them but have done baby backs.

What's better? Is the method the same? Time similar?

Thanks

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Spare ribs (even St. Luis cut) are generally bigger than baby backs and require an hour or more extra time over baby backs.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320

Here's a great link with spares info that should help with your decision-

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/01/pork-spare-ribs-preparing.html  And njl's time estimate is about what you can expect as a difference.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    When the stores I shop at offer spares around $2/lb, they are untrimmed. Spares can be cooked whole, but there are portions that are thin boneless muscle, and others that are thick, bony, and have little meat. The results can be somewhat uneven.  It is not hard to trim them St. Louis style if you have a reasonably sharp knife (boning, utility, chef.) At this point, I can do the trim in about 5 minutes. Whenever I buy them pre-trimmed, they are a buck a pound more. I'm glad to have acquired the skill.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    +1 with gdenby on the trimming skill (or attempt:)).  Many good you tube videos on trimming spares to St Louis style.  If I can do it anyone can.  Just be careful with that knife.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Thanks guys. Getting ribs at the butcher for tomorrow a they will be trimmed and ready to go. I need to get some real knives soon to start doing this myself.

When do the accessory purchases stop? :)

Garnerville, NY
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Thanks guys. Getting ribs at the butcher for tomorrow a they will be trimmed and ready to go. I need to get some real knives soon to start doing this myself. When do the accessory purchases stop? :)
    If you have a Sams club near you check out the Bakers and Chefs utility and boning knife pack. They are darn sharp and under 20 bucks for the set.

Any ribs you decide on should taste great on your egg. Good luck with your rib adventure.