Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE XL Lump Reducer Ring

tortaboy
tortaboy Posts: 29
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

Do any of you have the Lump Reducer Ring for the BGE XL?

Do you like it?

Do you use it often?

Is it necessary to use the spider with it?  Couldn't you just place your wok directly on top of the big ole ring?

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I'm not sure why you would need the reducer ring.  Just light the lump in one spot where you are cooking.  You can control the area by only lighting lump where you need the fire.  Same thing for indirect - light the lump on the far side of the XL and cook on the half noon pizza stone on the other side.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    It's next on my purchase list, lots of folks on here have them and rate them highly, yes you can just light one spot but I prefer to keep the lump more contained in a smaller space.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607

i thought about getting one but debate on why i need it.

outside of keeping the lump together or maybe using less?  what other benefits are there?  does it help better circulate air flow since all the  holes in the grate are not covered?

• tortaboy

does it help better circulate air flow since all the  holes in the grate are not covered?

If it does, it's a big win!
  • tortaboy

I'm still curious if you could put accessories right on top of it.

A grate perhaps?

A wok?

Can you just use the ring as a base and not need the spider at all?

• I bought it and the spider to sear steaks -  i NEVER use the spider -  i set cast iron grate right on top of reducer ring and get a great sear.  Using Trex method it can't get better than having the cast iron that colse to the coals -  I'd recommend the reducer ring and the cast iron grate if you cook steaks
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990

I have one.  I use it nearly always, and it is filled to the top. I dont do the wok  thing yet.  but i dont think it would work right on top of the lump reducing ring.  

I bought it right after getting the XL. not sure if I would buy it again if i had to replace it. Just as easy to make a pile of lump to wards the rear of the Egg and just use that, and leave the front without lump.

Its a neat gadget. and mostly use it because it keeps the lump in a nice pile, and since i am usually doing smaller cooks it works fine.  and it it easier to just leave it in the egg than trying to store it somewhere.

sure glad I bought my XL 3 years ago for $ 1000.  looks like it has appreciated in value or at least held its value. New ones going for $ 1400. wow. In a couple of years if I wanted to .( dont know why) I could sell it for what i bought it for.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• tortaboy

....But why would you WANT to sell it?

Brother John, R2Egger posted a pic showing that the wok could sit on top of the reducer, but it would only leave enough room for about an inch of coals....so that will not work.

I need the spider also.

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I don't have the ring, but I plan on getting the right angle brackets for my XL. That way I can use as much or as little of the firebox as I want. I also plan on getting the half moon stone because sometimes I need the while grid for the initial cook then I need a space to keep things warm without killing them. I already have the half moon rack.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136

Brother John, R2Egger posted a pic showing that the wok could sit on top of the reducer, but it would only leave enough room for about an inch of coals....so that will not work.

I need the spider also.

Here's the pic mentioned: image

16" wok from CGS on the open bar ring. 

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited August 2012
    I have one and use it on EVERY cook.  The best thing about it is makes it easy to create 2 cooking zones.  I put the meat in the middle and sides around the outside where the heat is indirect.

Also, I attached a replacement grid on the bottom so I can lift the whole thing out, shake it over my ash can, and then put it back and ready to go for the next cook.  Couldn't be easier.

I wouldn't think of running my egg without it.

Packerland, Wisconsin