Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket stall - how long will it last?

waynedogwaynedog Posts: 4
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Cooking my first brisket - 9 lb packer (7 lb after trimming fat).  Put it on last night at 10 pm at 220.  Got up at 6 am and meat temp was 160.  Has not moved in the 4 hours I have been up.  Total cook time is now 12 hours.  When should I expect it to break out of the stall and move up to 190 or so?
·

Comments

• bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,380
    i did a 15 pounder last weekend at a grid temp of 265 it took about 15 hours roughly a hour per pound Cen-Tex called it right on the money . may wanna try bumping it up a bit if your dome temp is 220 grid temp is most likely lower heat rises   :)
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • We don't plant to eat until 6 pm tonight so I have plenty of time.  If it can get to 190 by 2 pm (4 hours from now), I can pull it, wrap it, and let it rest for a few hours.

·
  • Should be coming out soon. Trimming 20% of the weight seems pretty high to me (but they are all a little different).

190 is a good place to check for doneness but it might not quite be there yet. Just make sure the thick part of the flat is very tested throughout before removing. Usually anywhere between 185-200. Mine have been around 195 lately but they are all different.

·
  • Its done when a thermometer goes in and out with little to no resistance right?
    ·
  • Its done when a thermometer goes in and out with little to no resistance right?

yes, in the thickest part of the flat (that is critical)

·
  • Did it turn out for you?
    ·