Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Up Butts in The EGG?

Options
JimboBQ
JimboBQ Posts: 197
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got 4 butts to cook. Normally, I cook 2 at a time. I lay the first one flat, fat side up on the grid. The second butt I place on the grid extender, on top, fat side up. This is the traditional set up I guess. has anyone ever set up 4 butts, all on the grid, standing on end? Of course, they would not all be over the drip pan which I put on the plate setter. Would the direct heat, be it ever so low, affect the meat which extends out over the plate setter?[p]Thanks,[p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning JimboBQ:[p]I assume you have a large BGE (I have squeezed three butts on a medium, but no way to get the fourth). The times I have done four on the large I put two on the main grid and two on the grid extender. What I normally do is line my drip pan with aluminum foil and have it actually larger than the drip pan so that it helps reduce "direct heat" on the grids (basically fill in the space between the platesetter legs with AF over hanging the drip pan). I hope that makes sense.[p]Here two pics of the last time I did this. It is a little difficult to see the AF, but hopefully you can figure out what I am saying.[p]P4300009.jpg[p]P4300015.jpg[p]Good luck with the butts.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay[p]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    Jay,
    Great looking set up. These butts I just got are pretty big, in the 8.5 pound class each. I like your idea of extending the drip pan area with the AF. I do have a large, and my gasket does not look anywhere near as good as yours! I wonder about your opinion (and everyone else's) about the length of the fold out legs on the grid extender. With decent size butts/shoulders, I find the grid extender actually sits down on top of the bottom meat. I like to get smoke in between layers, so I elevate the grid extender by an inch or so with blocks of wood.[p]Thanks for the input.[p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning JimboBQ:[p]The gasket only looked that good then (about 2 weeks after I got the large). [p]Those four butts were all between 7.5 and 8.5 lbs each. If I remember correctly the grid did just touch the bottom set when I started, but after a few hours I'm sure there was no longer any contact as the butts shrank. If you have any firebricks that may work better that wood to set the extender legs on. [p]I did a double brisket cook on my medium once that I used pieces of the fire brick to hold the grid extender (see below).[p]P3160001.jpg[p]As you can see the gasket on the medium (3 years old) is not as nice looking as the large.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    JimboBQ,
    I did 4 one time in my large. Total tonnage came to 37 pounds. They did touch when I first put them on (one layer without extender), but after the first hour there was sufficient shrinkage that they could be separated.[p]HTH
    Ken

• JDOTR
    JDOTR Posts: 85
    Options
    JimboBQ,
    It works... I have cooked 3 before where 1 of them was stood on end... The one on end was the best of all 3... [p]Also Grill Meister posted pics of 8 butts on 2 eggs he did last weekend... all 4 on each egg were stood on end.
    Happy BBQ'n
    Chet[p]

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    8-Butts.jpg
    <p />JimboBQ,[p]Yep, as JDOTR said, here's what I did last weekend. You are looking at 68.9 pounds of pork butt on two eggs. The egg on th left has all 4 butts standing up and the one on the right has two down and two up.[p]The picture below shows them after 20 hours and they went 22 hours total.[p]8-Butts-20-hours.jpg[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]I just have to have a moment of silence everytime I see that picture. 8 butts on 2 larges - it's just a beautiful sight - almost can bring a tear to your eye.[p]Happy 4th weekend,[p]TRex