Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Bread recipe for a baking Noob

Cymbaline65Cymbaline65 Posts: 799
edited July 2012 in Baking

Hello all-

I've a BGE veteren but have never done any baking on the BGE. I want to give bread a rip. I've been reading many posts, YouTube videos etc.. and I have not yet found anything that fits my bill. Those are:

1. Easy to put together and gives reliable results

2. Kneading not an issue - I have a mixer with dough hook etc. so I can go no-knead/knead

3. White/Wheat/Mix - love them all.

4. Makes great sandwich bread

Can anyone out there send me their favorites? What are your go-to bread recipes when you just want to bake some bread? Noting fancy. I'll do fancy when I get my baking chops..

Thanks everyone!!

Eric

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,912
    I see you have a mixer, but you don't need it with this recipe, which has a cult following:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,982

I've done a cheddar beer bread that was super easy. No kneading, no yeast, no rise, just mix and cook. Not sure if it would be a great sandwich bread.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1137085

Cheddar Beer Bread

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
    That no-knead bread recipe is a good choice for the egg.  You cook in a dutch oven, then take the lid off.  I've done it on the egg a few times and it came out great.

The bread will look something like this - It's not really a classic sandwich bread, which is more loaf-like.

http://www.google.com/search?q=no-knead+bread&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Ii9&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnse&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=9ccSUMvhE8W-rQHm3IG4Bg&ved=0CEEQ_AUoAQ&biw=1362&bih=959

·
  • Cymbaline65Cymbaline65 Posts: 799

Great. Thanks for your input. I've seen the NY Times bread recipe in the past, NolaEgghead. Think I'll give it a try.

Will report back with the results.

Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
    ·
    Lemme know how it works out.  I've made it probably at least 15 times and I've only had a couple of bad batches, which were my fault because I'm always experimenting by adding herbs, garlic, cheese, etc., most of which work, but occasionally, not so well.  The flour is only about 50 cents, so it's low risk.

·
  • Howdy all-

Got a bit side-tracked but got around to making some break. I didn't do the no-knead this go around but I will next time. Here are the results..

The bread was a bit "dense" and not as airy as I would have liked. I used King Arthur Bread flour and my new mixer dough hook (was doing pizza right after). Also need to work on my shaping but all in all, not bad for first effort.

·
  • I've been using this with my KAF really does work. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/cake-enhancer-10-oz#4748#
    ·
    I've been using this with my KAF really does work. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/cake-enhancer-10-oz#4748#
    I have rice flour, I wonder if that would work...

·
  • That looks interesting Browninggold..maybe worth a try..
    ·