Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Torn between two temperatures

mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first low and slow brisket. It's a 5 pounder that draped so well I could use it as a purse. But I'm drowning in too much good advice, so I'm here for more. The Ugly Brothers recommend a dome temp of about 180-200. Tim is showing about 225. I'm hearing anywhere between 1.5 to 3 hrs/pound. YIKES. Right now briskie is sitting on a rack over a drip pan full of Tequiza (someone gave me some...gotta get rid of it somewhere). That is all on a pizza stone. Dome temp sitting around 200. Handful of mesquite chunks providing a little smoke. [p]What do you think? hotter? cooler? longer? shorter? Just walk away and come back in 10 hours and see? Prozac?[p]M

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    MollyShark:[p]You are doing good. Maintain what you have . . . All answers are correct, the goal is low and slow . . .

• MollyShark,[p]From the weight of the meat I would guess that you are cooking a flat which is pretty thin. It is important that you get this meat up to 130-140 degrees in the first four hours. This time includes the time it spent on the counter before it went on the cooker. If your dome temp is at 200 degrees, your rack temp is about 155-160 degrees early in this cook. Old Dave would suggest that you up the temp to about 250-260 degrees until the internal is at about 135 degrees and then you can cook this meat anyway you like. Cook it the rest of the way at a dome of 200 degrees and you can take it off late in August. Sorry, I just couldn't help myself! Even late in your cook, you will need to run the dome temp about 25 degrees higher than than your target to get it done. I like to take them off at about 200-205 degrees internal and they usually come out real good.[p]Prozac, suck them down in great quantities. Old Dave's better half works for this company and our stock really needs some help.[p]Old Dave
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    MollyShark,
    My humble opinion is to kick dome up to 250. Cooking level temp, especially indirect, is much lower. Even at 250 dome it will probably take a minimum of 2.5 hours/lb. At least that has been my 'sperience.[p]Anything under 250 dome cooks slower and longer than necessary.[p]Can't wait to hear your results on that chunk-o-chest. Have fun.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • mollyshark
    Old Dave,
    Taking your advice. Well, actually the Egg took it anyway. When I went to peek, it was sitting at 250 already. The meat temp is 98, so all I know is it is not feverish (ok...I'm not very mature). Will let it sit 250-260 and see howsit goes. It is a pretty flat one. Looks like a fat flank steak! It is already smelling devine, though.[p]How do you cut these things anyway? With the grain? Against?[p]And I seriously don't take Prozac. I like good vodka!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    MollyShark,
    Cut it against the grain, slightly diagonal. Some separate the top and bottom muscles, as they have a different grain, but I just slice away. Have fun.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • olblue
    olblue Posts: 42
    What's Tequiza ?
  • MollyShark,[p]250 degrees is a great dome temp for the first few hours on the Egg. Your rack temp shound be running about 200-210 degrees. Just let it stay at this temp until the internal is about 130 degrees and you won't have any problems.[p]How to cut these things?--always against the grain. I cook a few of these things every year and would offer this advice. Most briskets come with way too much fat. I usually trim this cut of meat to about 1/16" fat on the fat side. Before they go on the fire, I usually cut a 3/4" strip against the grain so I will know where the grain is running after the cook. After you add the rub and cook this meat right, it will be black and you won't have the foggiest idea which way the grain is running. You can cut this 3/4" strip into small pieces and place them on the grill and they will get done in about 4 hours and the guests that arrive early will have something to try. Always good to have something for your guests. [p]Vodka, Old Dave thinks cheap beer is much better!
  • mollyshark
    Old Dave,
    Seems to be there. It's been on about 2 1/2 hrs or so and is sitting (according to Senor Polder) at 136. So I guess I'll just let matters be (dome is 260 ish) until it gets a whole lot hotter and I'll go off and do something useful.[p]Nuttin wrong with cheap beer either, although I've taken a shine to Shiners lately. I've taken a shine to quite a few things lately. I damn near glow![p]Seriously, thanks for the help. Every cook is an adventure with this thing!

• mollyshark
    ol-blue,
    It is a bizarre combination of beer with a hint of tequila thrown in. Don't even know if they still make it. Texas musta been the testing ground for it. Very sweet and a lot of calories in one bottle. Never could get one down out of the bottle, but thought since I was handed about 10 of them, they might be useful drip pan stuff.[p]Hey..how ya been anyway?

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MollyShark, In the short time that Old Dave has been aboard, he has garnered my respect for his cooking achievements...go with it..
    C~W[p]

• mollyshark
    Char-Woody,
    I definitely agree. I can't BELIEVE how steady the temp is in the Egg. Incredible. It was sitting exactly on 250 when I left about 3 hours ago. Come back home and it is sitting exactly on 250. I don't have that bottom vent open more than 1/4 inch. Polder reading 163 which is very exciting also. Doesn't take much to get me happpy anymore, does it!!! But I figure with any luck, 6-ish should bring us some good eating (it's 2:30 here now). Sound about right? Ugly Bros again say to open the vent a tad and get it up to about 275 to finish it off. Wonder why?[p]m

• mollyshark
    MollyShark,
    Twit...it says 375, not 275. Ignore her...she's delirious.[p]MollyShark

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MollyShark, wow..your burning your brisket again..Shame!!
    375 is a 100 degree tad too high..Well, Old Ugly has a pointg on the tail end of the cook to perk it on over the hump a bit quicker. You can do that! I bet its pretty good eating anyway!! Let us know!
    C~W[p]