Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Attempt- Baby Backs! More Smoke?

Options
2»

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    More smoke-more smoldering smoke wood...I use chips which I spread throughout the lump load.  I unscientifically equate about a good handful of chips to a chunk.  Figrue where there is fire there is smoke.  And to be contrarian here, I always light my LBGE around bottom dead-center for low&slows then build up the lump in the center to the height of the rest of the load-usually into the fire ring.  Never lost a fire (now jinxed).  I have seen too many structural fires that much prefer to burn "up" as opposed to "down" (of course these were not air-flow restricted).  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    edited August 2012
    Options
    , i don't have to buy wood, and i'm using as much wood (actually,  less) than those who toss in three or four big chunks

Stike, If you're using less wood and still getting the same smoke sounds to me like it's burning faster (more completely) George :)>-
    George
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    stike, im going to test your theory this weekend smoking a turkey for pull. dead center on the red coals ill place a baseball sized chunk and a thin chip and check after an hour or two. can ai put a paperclip on the chip so i know where it was when i check
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    gte1: nice try. i don't think you understand. you are talking about complete combustion, which involves flames.  none of this involves flames. certainly not at lo and slo smolder temps.  and rarely even at 800 degrees.

fish: your chip will be gone much sooner.

but you are equating one chip with one chunk.  i've never done that, and i've agreed that A single chip will be used up faster than A single chunk.

no one in their right mind would say 'i am smoking ribs. i huess i'll use this one tiny chip, instead of this one chunk".  no.  you use chips (plural)

take two chunks. cut one into chips and use it for one fire.  use the chunks for another fire.
    your chips will NOT be long gone before the chunk is.

i'd even say that set up properly, you could actually get less smoke with the chunk if the fire burns away from it before it's used up.  ever find chunks sitting high and dry the next day?

perhaps you misunderstood what i said.  my fault maybe.
    :)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    well the question was stated as how to get a longer smoking time, not more smoke as he was happy with the amount of flavor he got, just wanted to see smoke for a longer period. bigger chunks will do it, not letting all the chips smolder at once by getting them away from the fire, i sometimes add pellets during the cook at anytime just dropping them past the inderect setup. theres also the problem that some dont under stand what wood smoke for cooking looks like, they see the steam burning off a wood chunk from moisture and equate that with smoke and yet that translucent almost invisibe blue smoke is what gives the nice flavor
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Well, to get back to LongboardR's question. If you feel like you are not getting the smoke you want "during" the cook, ya got two choices as I see it. You can drop some wood chips in around the placesetter and use some kind of tool (I use an old metal skewer) and try and it push it towards some smoldering lump or towards the center. The other thing I've done on long smokes (which takes a bit more effort), is lift out the meat and the place setter, toss in some more chunks (or chips) and replace everything. Hope that helps and gets this back on topic.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options

gte1: nice try. i don't think you understand. you are talking about complete combustion, which involves flames.  none of this involves flames. certainly not at lo and slo smolder temps.  and rarely even at 800 degrees.

fish: your chip will be gone much sooner.

but you are equating one chip with one chunk.  i've never done that, and i've agreed that A single chip will be used up faster than A single chunk.

no one in their right mind would say 'i am smoking ribs. i huess i'll use this one tiny chip, instead of this one chunk".  no.  you use chips (plural)

take two chunks. cut one into chips and use it for one fire.  use the chunks for another fire.
    your chips will NOT be long gone before the chunk is.

i'd even say that set up properly, you could actually get less smoke with the chunk if the fire burns away from it before it's used up.  ever find chunks sitting high and dry the next day?

perhaps you misunderstood what i said.  my fault maybe.
    :)

Don't want to argue about it.  I do understand that we are not talking abut throwing these on an open flame, but there is some burning going on down there.  I have had the lid closed and flames shooting out the top (not at 250).  The lower the temp (air flow) the less combustion going on I fully understand that.  How many of the chips touch burning lump?  How much of the chunk is in contact with the same? So many varriables I don't think any quantitative prediction anyone can make would be very accurate.

Bottom line is as you stated eairler, both work fine.  I use chips, chunks etc.. All seem to do the job.  The chunks I buy from Fruita Woods, I actually split into thirds.  Why?  Cause, that's the way I like 'em.  Others might like larger chunks than they send me, and others prefer chips.  Like you said they all do the job.

More than one way to skin a cat.

George

George