Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Xl BGE vs Primo Oval XL, one final question

Options
smharristx
smharristx Posts: 2
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have read the many posts on this but have one concern I would like advice on. When using the plate setter for a long cook, it seems difficult to add lump or wood chips on the egg, but on the Primo you can leave one side open. Do you really need to be able to add more or will the initial amount be enough? Thanks for any insight on this.

Comments

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Unless you are cooking something that takes longer than 20 hours, there will be no need to add lump whatsoever. Edit: wood chips can be added during the cook by dropping down the side of the plate setter but not chunks.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Unless you are cooking something that takes longer than 20 hours, there will be no need to add lump whatsoever. Edit: wood chips can be added during the cook by dropping down the side of the plate setter but not chunks.
    Even then, it's rare to add. Get the XL. It's amazing. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • sjg34
    sjg34 Posts: 22
    Options
    I've gone 23 hours on one load of lump charcoal
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i just did a low and slow cleaned my egg out and filled it with a bag of RO mixed chips through out and added chunks right before putting my brisket on . i lit the egg at 9pm saturday night cooked at 265 grid after the brisket was done i did burnt ends and after that sausage finally shut the egg done around 7:30 sunday night and found today i only used maybe at best about 1/2 to maybe a bit more 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I added lump a few weeks ago while cooking pizzas. The egg was at 600 for about 6 hours. I used Ove gloves, pulled out the PS, added the lump and put everything back. All of that took less than 5 minutes. Most cooks don't require more lump.

I think you'll be thrilled with either cookery. The primo was in my top 2 when I bought my egg. In the end, the egg's hinge was better in my opinion.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • smharristx
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I figured I am over thinking that. I am leaning toward the egg, I am worried about the Primo having porcelain grate, plus more accessories for the egg.
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    Most of the Primo ovals adavatages were erased with the 24 Inch XL cookers. You gain an extra two inch on the oval Xl at the price of of 100 square inches of grilling space. Tripple tier racks allow the XL Egg/Big Joe to hold more ribs than the oval.

The Porceilen coated racks are hard to maintain and expensive to replace. No one make 3rd party racks for Primo. If you need a new grate you stuck with Primo.

The XL egg has 100's of third party rack and accessory manufactures. Primo just has Primo. Ex. You can't run a wok on the Primo. The shape doesn't work.

2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I added lump a few weeks ago while cooking pizzas. The egg was at 600 for about 6 hours. I used Ove gloves, pulled out the PS, added the lump and put everything back. All of that took less than 5 minutes. Most cooks don't require more lump. I think you'll be thrilled with either cookery. The primo was in my top 2 when I bought my egg. In the end, the egg's hinge was better in my opinion.
    How many pizzas did you cook?
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Have you done a side by side comparison of both? I was fortunate to find a dealer that carries both. The amount of accessories for the egg was also a factor for me. +1 for primo for made in the U.S.A.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • smharristx
    Options
    I found a dealer that carries both so I will do side by side comparison.....the versatility of the Primo is probably not going to make a difference for my use, and I have had the Large egg in the past so I know the quality is there.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    When I was deciding between the egg and the primo, my wife asked me if I wanted to tell people "yeah I have a big green egg" or "yeah I have this cooker that's just like a big green egg". I wanted the tried and true and the support to back it up, not an imitation. Not to say Primo and others aren't great cookers, but I want the original.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    i'd get the XL egg or the Big joe. Honestly, ive got a large, and want an xl, but the big joe has me thinking.
  • SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I too like the Big Joes feature.  But I love the OVal XL. 
    i'd get the XL egg or the Big joe. Honestly, ive got a large, and want an xl, but the big joe has me thinking.

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I've done over 20 low and slows over 20 hours on my XLs and have always had at least half of my charcoal still untouched.  I usually get another 5 days of regular cooks on the same load as I used for the low and slow.  Several people have commented that the oval is great for direct and indirect at the same time.  I can do the same with my XLs by using the half moon pizza stone.  I also mix wood chunks in a spiral from the center out during low and slows, get a great smoke ring and never have to add any.  I haven't found anything yet that my XLs can't do.and do very well.  Plus we have a great forum and eggfests everywhere!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    The biggest issue with Primo is the lack of 3rd parties supporting the grill. BGE/Big Joe have way more options for them. Primo locks you into Primo. Need a new rack, Primo. Need a new firebox divider, Primo. Need second tier racks, Primo. No competitive pricing on accessories. The warping of the heat defector racks has not been fixed. They can warp durning high heat cooks. The ceramic BGE plate setter and stainless steel bracket on the Big Joe are superior for high heat cooks. Pizza. The porcelain coated racks are a potential concern with the Primo design. Primo makes a great grill but they need to address some of these issues with their design. Especially when there's no 3rd party alternatives.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Irrivirsible
    Options
    Primo seems to ship warranty replacements to some for free and others have to pay for it. Should be the same for everyone. Some people have lids fall off and have to order some clips from a forum member that makes them. Company has shown no interest in doing that to eliminate the problem at least not yet. I have seen Primo display models in stores that have had quite a few issues with them. Have not seen that with other brands.