Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAP Torch--help please

Options
Dan4BBQ
Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased a MAP torch and used it to start RO.  Lots of sparks---some of the sparks like to burn hair--mine.
Is there an extender?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Dan

Comments

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Mine does the same thing, some lump sparks less, but I have found that all lump sparks like crazy when started with a torch. I just set it in the lump and step back a bit.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

I use the Mapp for the Minis and a big one for the Large. When it is this bad I think about it

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dan4BBQ
    Options
    Thanks
    You spell MAPP but my label say just Map.
    Did I buy the wrong one?

Definitely long gloves for me nest time!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited July 2012
    Options

I came across a 6" diameter brass round cap with a hole in the center at a lighting supply house several years back and  removed the tip of the torch and had some washers on either side of the nozzle.  they were held in place by a hose clamp 1/2 " dia and it still sparks but I don't get burnt. It works for me.
  • bvanma28
    bvanma28 Posts: 57
    Options
    U can buy a wand at the local pluming supply for pretty cheap at least out here is California
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Thanks
    You spell MAPP but my label say just Map.
    Did I buy the wrong one?

Definitely long gloves for me nest time!
    MAPP is for MethylAcetylene Propadiene Propane

Sometimes it's marketed as MAP - Propane.

Use some tie wraps and strap it on a broom handle so you don't get sparked.
    Options
    i use this and got a hose to attach to my old gasser's tank works great or just use a disposable bottle of gas 

Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    MAPP gas is no longer produced.  Instead, other companies started producing substitutes.  Bernzomatic calls theirs MAP/Pro which is probably what you have.  Any torch like this is going to produced impressive sparks when you use it to light lump, although some lumps can be more impressive than others.
    The Naked Whiz
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Naked wiz is right - now it's propylene in propane.  So it is just a marketing thing.
    Options
    After viewing the above pic, I'm taking mine back to Lowe's...never used it, but afraid to. WIll go with alcohol,  paper towel with oil or wax starters. They seem simple and safer.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Options
    I've lit mine a few times with the Benz-O-Matic propane torch I bought when I did a copper re-pipe of my previous home. It had been sitting in my garage for years so I thought what a great re-purposing. It works great by pointing it at two or three spots in the charcoal as if a wax lighter is there. About two minutes in each area. No big sparks like the picture above. The only downside is it might go out from time to time in the upside down position. As the coals go it will reignite itself or you may have to trigger the spark igniter on the torch. It's a pretty cool (or should I say hot) way to get the fire going.  
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • Mickey
    Options
    Guys the picture above was bad lump. It was replaced after the pic was poster a couple of years ago.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dan4BBQ
    Options
    Thanks.  The sparks on mine were not like those in the picture.

I'll keep using but with long gloves.

Dan
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productdetails.aspx?sku=2192953&gclid=CKXKzdL8w7ECFc1e7Aod6QsA7A

I have this, and use the cheap green cans of propane you get for a couple bucks each. Also you can get an adapter to connect it to your 20/40gallon propane tank from your old gasser. I will likely do this eventually.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    one of the posts mentioned leaning the torch against the side of the egg and stepping back, well ive had two map torches light up in flames doing this, the internals are plastic and rubber, once melted you cant turn the torch off. ive tossed two in the lake to shut them down. get a weed burner and deal with the sparks, or use a napkin and some oil
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    The sparks are vicious. I've taken to using oil-soaked paper towels, and I actually think this method is faster.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Little Steven
    Options
    It's funny how different lumps spark more than others on lighting. I use Maple Leaf and get no sparks at all. Have been using Basques a bit lately and it sparks a bit. Royal Oak is like a fireworks display.
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options
    I use a map torch, stick the torch in and then close the top down as much as possible and light the lump. This way sparks just shoot up into the dome. I light it this way every time with short sleeves and never have a problem with burns on the hand.
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    I use alcohol, no sparks and lump lights quick.
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    I have a long hand :)
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    blow torch.  no burns, no drips and no errors!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited July 2012
    Options
    After viewing the above pic, I'm taking mine back to Lowe's...never used it, but afraid to. WIll go with alcohol,  paper towel with oil or wax starters. They seem simple and safer.
    That photo was of a propane weed torch.  MAP torches don't do that badly unless your lump is extraordinarily bad.  I've been using MAPP and MAP torches for 10 years and have never had a problem worth worrying about.  You do have to use a bit of sense.  If you are getting a lot of sparks from one location in the lump, move to another.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Options
    I think I'll get one for the next 4 th of July
  • Dan4BBQ
    Options
    I used mine last night with a glove and it was fine
  • SyrEgg
    SyrEgg Posts: 6
    Options

I use MAP to light mine, all i do is stuff the tip of the torch under the lump before i light it so the lump blocks the sparks.  In other words, shove teh torch down into the pile of lump, don't light the top surface and you'll be fine....

Nate

• Mickey
    Options
    That photo was of a propane weed torch.  MAP torches don't do that badly unless your lump is extraordinarily bad.  I've been using MAPP and MAP torches for 10 years and have never had a problem worth worrying about.  You do have to use a bit of sense.  If you are getting a lot of sparks from one location in the lump, move to another.

Please do not use that pic to worry about sparking. THAT was BAD lump that was replaced (5 bags) by the mfg. I put it up on this post as humor or my attempt at it. I only use Mapp om Minis and full weed burner on Large, no problems except the time I tried to light the Mini with the weed burner ( don't do it ).

• tdbmd
    tdbmd Posts: 46
    Options
    For those with oil and paper towels, what kind of oil?  Vegetable oil?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Any edible oil - vegetable, bacon fat/lard, olive oil...
    Options
    any oil. just don't overload it.  it's often said to 'soak' the towel.  nah.
    you drizzle a little. enough that when you twist it, it soaks in, but doesn't drip.

the oil and paper together do the trick.  too much of either isn't the best
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    I was using vegetable or canola oil with paper towels.

I found that the egg would light pretty well if I rolled up two towels into loose cigars, added some oil, then put them down on top of the lump in an X.  I lit all four ends then and let the egg run for awhile.

I was getting a little frustrated lighting Wicked Good this way... it just seemed to take FOREVER to come up to temp.  So I started thinking of other methods.

Bought a LOOFT Lighter from my local shop... and WOW is all I've got to say, I spent $89 Canadian on it, and I think it really is worth every penny.  I got my Large Egg, Plate Setter, and Pizza Stone up to 700 degrees in about 15-20 minutes last night...
    [Insert clever signature line here]