Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Three minute pizza

billybon
billybon Posts: 213
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

Several years ago, I experienced my first piece of “gourmet” pizza from an authentic wood burning oven. From that moment I was hooked on good pizza. In fact, I was so hooked that I built my own wood burning oven. I have had good fun cooking three minute pizzas for my friends in that oven. However, I have got to tell you, it is a lot of work. It takes a great deal of fuel to get to temp and I sure don’t want to crank it up during our South Florida summers. I now reserve that entertainment for our occasional cold winter day.

The trouble is I like to eat good pizza year round. Fortunately, I can get the same quality with a fraction of the effort by cooking pizza in my BGEs.  Here is how I cook a 3 minute pizza on a large BGE:

1.       Clean out fire box, put in a fresh load of fuel and start fire with vents fully open and no top cover.

2.       Install first platesetter with legs up.

3.       Install standard grill grate on top of PS legs.

4.       Install a “thin” pizza stone on top of grate.

5.       Straddle a second platesetter over the pizza stone with legs down. (Use fireproof shims to raise the PS to the highest point where it does not hit the dome when the lid is closed)

6.       Wait for the dome temp to reach at least 700. Higher is better.

7.       Insert pizza under the top PS and on top of the pizza stone.

8.       Check pizza after 2 1/2  minutes.

9.       Remove fully cooked pizza with tongs.

The dough springs to life as soon as it is placed in the Egg. I use a “thin” stone,  because it has less thermal mass than a thicker stone and actually extends the time I can leave the pie in the Egg while the top has time to cook. (Usually 3 minutes or less)

My wife called the office this afternoon with a request for pizza. I did not have time to proof the dough so I picked up a piece of dough from Publix. (All they had defrosted was whole wheat.) This is the “three minute” whole wheat sausage pizza that that she requested:

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    That's a very unique set up...at least nothing I've seen thus far.

I imagine the heat reflects off the 2nd plate setter giving you a wood burning over feel. Question, would putting the pie real high in the dome accomplish the same feat as the heat will reflect in the dome? I know the AR w/the rig extender gets it really high.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Pie looks great!! Do you have any pics of pies using your dough? What recipe do you use??
  • billybon
    That's a very unique set up...at least nothing I've seen thus far. I imagine the heat reflects off the 2nd plate setter giving you a wood burning over feel. Question, would putting the pie real high in the dome accomplish the same feat as the heat will reflect in the dome? I know the AR w/the rig extender gets it really high.
    I frequently tried the high dome method but personally find this method gives better results.
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    As soon as I saw your first picture before I even read the post I said, "Why didn't I think of that?" That's a great idea. I'm going to have to try it.
    XL BGE
  • cazzy
    billybon said:

cazzy said:

That's a very unique set up...at least nothing I've seen thus far.

I imagine the heat reflects off the 2nd plate setter giving you a wood burning over feel. Question, would putting the pie real high in the dome accomplish the same feat as the heat will reflect in the dome? I know the AR w/the rig extender gets it really high.

I frequently tried the high dome method but personally find this method gives better results.
    See how you have a wood burning oven for comparison, that statement has a lot of weight. Thanks a bunch for posting...this will be bookmarked!! :)
  • cazzy
    chuff said:

As soon as I saw your first picture before I even read the post I said, "Why didn't I think of that?" That's a great idea. I'm going to have to try it.

No kidding...very intuitive this guy is. I don't own a plate setter, but I may be on the market for one now!!
  • Onegrecook
    Onegrecook Posts: 121
    Newbie here. Is the second plate setter the same size as the first? In other words...are both the same size?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I've got two plate setters, I think I will have to try this.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Newbie here. Is the second plate setter the same size as the first? In other words...are both the same size?
    They look like the same size to me.  Ingenious setup.  You basically are cooking at lid height and have rigged up an IR broiler.
    In my case, the 2 platesetters are the same size. If you had a smaller PS on the top you could get a litter more elevation. However, that means a smaller pie. Of course, if you had an extra large BGE you cold use the PS from a large and that would be ideal.
  • cazzy
    edited July 2012
    Nevermind...I saw it. Great 1st Thread sir!! =D>
  • billybon
    What size is your egg??
    This pie was cooked on a large.
  • Onegrecook
    Onegrecook Posts: 121
    Great idea...thank you!
  • billybon

They look like the same size to me.  Ingenious setup.  You basically are cooking at lid height and have rigged up an IR broiler.
    Thanks for the compliment. And yes, I was going for a broiler effect. In fact, we call this set-up a "Billybon broiler".
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Well done, sir!!!!! Great idea. In an oven, a lot of people put their stone on the lowest rack, but you should really put it on the highest to let the heat bounce of the top back on the pizza. This accomplishes the same effect but on the Egg.  :-bd
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • waltinva
    waltinva Posts: 36
    Do you offset the legs of the second plate setter to the first or do you think it matters for reflecting the heat? Great idea.
  • billybon
    Do you offset the legs of the second plate setter to the first or do you think it matters for reflecting the heat? Great idea.
    I have always aligned the legs. Whenever I use an indirect PS I put one leg to the rear to avoid the common hot spot issue directly across from the air intake. That being said, the configuration of the top PS is dictated by having to slide the peel in from the front. (Thus a leg to the rear again) If you wanted to experiment you could certainly change the position of the lower PS.
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    billybon - is the thickness of the BGE brand pizza stone what you mean as a "thin" pizza stone.  Looks like more accessories are going to show up on my porch.  When the wife complains I remind her she bought the egg and started the whole thing!
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Brilliant idea! Echoing a previous comment, why didn't I think of that. ^:)^
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • billybon
    billybon - is the thickness of the BGE brand pizza stone what you mean as a "thin" pizza stone.  Looks like more accessories are going to show up on my porch.  When the wife complains I remind her she bought the egg and started the whole thing!
    Yes, that pie was cooked on a BGE stone.
  • chuff
    I can't believe I'm going to have to buy another plate setter now.... Thanks for nothing! :))
    XL BGE
  • billybon

I can't believe I'm going to have to buy another plate setter now.... Thanks for nothing! :))
    Why stop there? For the adventurous that want maximum temp hitting the top of the pizza, the broiler affect can be insane if you place a cast iron pan full of hot coals on the top of the upper PS. I does work but you must be very careful.

Sure you don't want to also get the CI pan?
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669

Why stop there? For the adventurous that want maximum temp hitting the top of the pizza, the broiler affect can be insane if you place a cast iron pan full of hot coals on the top of the upper PS. I does work but you must be very careful.

Did you actually try that?

Did you actually try that?
    Yes!
  • chuff
    Hell, I have lots of cast iron pans.
    XL BGE
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    @billybon I absolutely HATE when I am perfectly satisfied with the way I do something and then somebody comes along with something that I absolutely HAVE to try.  Ingenious setup. ^:)^
  • Off to buy another place setter for pizzas tomorrow. Such a great idea!! :-O
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Well done great job thinking/cooking outside the box. And they say the egg isn't versatile.  Will be borrowing that method.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I dunno who "they" are, I've always thought the egg is versatile.  It grills, sears, roasts, smokes, braises, steams, broils...it slices, it dices...