Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE XL Custom Built Table

markprewitt
markprewitt Posts: 20
edited July 2012 in EGG Table Forum

Fellow Egg-Headers - I just wanted to share pics of my custom built table for my BGE XL in case people wanted to see pics in the middle of the construction.  I took the specs off of the BGE website and form fitted it for my space.  Home Depot and Sherwin Williams were key in the construction and finishing as the total cost of the project was ~$225.  My dad and I (Father's Day 2011) completed the project in about 16 hours (We are very meticulous in our measurements).  SInce we used pressure treated lumber, I let the "green" fade out a bit before staining/sealing.  Enjoy!!

Comments

• mrjwhit
    mrjwhit Posts: 83
    Very well built. What do you mean "greeness"? How long did it take to fade? 
    Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's probably green because of the chromated copper arsenate wood preservative.  It get lighter as the surface of the wood dries.  Yummy.
    Do you have any problem using the egg in that covered area?

Reason I ask, is that I have a screened in patio, and during the winter months I would love to be able to bring it in there and cook.

Thanks.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• To mrjwhit/nolaegghead - The pressure treated lumber is dipped into a preservative to make the wood last longer without warping etc.  It took about 3 months for it to fade out.  I just didn't want the green coloration to be stained/sealed into the table.

To YEMTrey - I do not have any problems with the BGE under the covered deck.  We get pretty good air flow which keeps the majority of the smoke flowing out.  I did however but an oscillating fan that I put about 8-10 feet away from the BGE to create air flow if that particular day the wind is too calm.  There have only been a couple days that has been the case over the past year though.  The better use is that I can get the grill up to temp a lot faster by creating more airflow by aiming the fan in the direction of the ash hole.  Just a little perk!!

• nolaegghead
    Ours is under a covered deck.  Not much of a problem with smoke unless there's no breeze.  If I need to disperse the smoke, I'll turn on a fan and blow the lovely grill and meat aroma into our vegetarian neighbor's yard, which is about 10 feet away from the egg.
    Jonathan1970 Posts: 156
    Nice father and son project. Great looking table.
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496

To NolaEgghead - That will teach those "rabbit" neighbors that they should turn to the dark side!! You shouldn't have a problem with the smoke, even in the covered porch.

Now that's funny... I don't care who you are...

LTCG
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • nolaegghead
    I really don't have much problem with smoke.  It's just a covered porch, and the worst smoke is when I fire it up.  Kamados are so efficient it's like running a large incense burner.

I do like to mess with the vegetarian neighbors, although I respect their tenacity (I know they're fighting their inner carnivore).  They're good friends, even if they're both lawyers.

I ordered a permanent wall fan to control the smoke yesterday so I don't have to drag out a portable fan. 

Even though I'm under the porch cover, the egg still is getting soaked by the ferocious rain we seem to be getting almost daily in New Orleans.  Glad I built the egg table like a wood-plank canoe (epoxy!).