Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting Started - Best Way to Start Fire

Options
2»

Comments

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    Dave....how many blocks do you use to light the Egg?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Weed burner. I just store it out of sight around the corner of the house...when I bother to hide it. Same thing I used to use pre-BGE on my offset smoker.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    1 square, I cut it in half and start it in two places.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    1 square, I cut it in half and start it in two places.
    Thanks....may give those a shot.
  • Canadian Egg
    Options
    Paper towels with a little oil or bacon grease is the way to go.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I've used the BGE starter squares, then went to the electric starter and liked it.  Last night I decided to use the paper towels and canola oil.  That's now my favorite way.  Fastest start I've ever done.  I used 2 paper towels in separate places ( doing a hot direct cook of lamb chops and strip steak)  and the Egg was blazing in 10 minutes.  
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    A paper towel with a tsp or two of veg oil works great and I'm guessing is the cheapest/safest method out there.  Just nestle it in a little depression in the top/center of the lump, light it, and in no time, you're ready to cook.
  • LJ4133
    Options
    I just tried a $9.99 Drillmaster heat gun from www.Harborfreight.com It works fantastic. I had a roaring fire in the "whole" large egg in about 10 minutes. It doesn't add the taste of anything to the food either.