Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lesson learned (pork butt)

Options
tonyled
tonyled Posts: 536
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
learned an important lesson yesterday cooking a pork butt.  do NOT put water in the drip pan.  i am so used to putting water in the pan on my weber genesis for the rotisserie that i just automatically did it on the egg without thinking and it steamed all of my rub off.  ive only had my egg a few months now so im still learning but i though i would post this in case some more newbies stumble across it and learn from MY mistakes rather than their own

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Sounds like you did not elevate the drip pan off the platesetter or whatever was the heat deflector.  Create an air gap between the pan and platesetter and you won't have the "steam" or burnt offerings issue.  Mnay use the BGE feet, washers, balled up foil-you get the idea.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tonyled
    Options
    ah, great idea.  you are correct, i put it directly on the plate setter.

it still came out good, but not great
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    If you get an adjustable rig you can set the drip pan on a different level from the pizza stone as well.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    I always use a water pan for butts, just throw some pebbles between the pan and the plate setter 
  • tonyled
    Options
    is water even needed though?
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    probably not but I do it anyway :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    are you sure it was the steam, i see rub get washed off from dripping fat/grease more than anything, i tend to cut all or most of the fat off now. the long cook in the egg also seems to dull the flavors of the rub so some add more later in the cook and when they pull the butt. there is no reason to put water in the pan if low and slowing a butt, i even cook them direct sometimes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tonyled
    Options
    not sure but i did remove most of the fat.  mostly just marbling left