Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you like beef...

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,467
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
... and you don't have a deep/chest freezer, now might be the ideal time to look into one.

A very smart friend I have brought this up last week, and it makes a lot of sense.  With the terrible drought throughout the midwest this summer, cattle ranchers from Nebraska down through Texas have had to sell off their herds in record numbers, and beef is relatively cheap right now.
Next year, the ax will really fall, and we're going to see record-high beef prices.  Cows only have one to two calves per season, so it'll take a long time to build the herds back up (unlike, say, seedcorn).  My friend believes you'd recover the cost of the freezer just in this first year, and I believe him.  
Something to think about... 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Options
    I don't have a chest freezer but the one I have is not full.  It soon will be.  Thanks for the (obvious) heads up.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I farm and raise beef. He is dead on. Stock up now.

Beef won't be the only thing to go up - pretty much everything will as far as food goes. The drought is resulting in record corn prices. Soybeans and wheat prices follow corn up. Chickens and pigs eat corn too - so expect increases there. This year's crops are pretty much toast so pray for rain and a bumper crop next year.
  • tjp1060
    tjp1060 Posts: 55
    Options

hmmm...maybe we should'nt be putting so much corn into our fuel tanks?

• bangor307
    bangor307 Posts: 139
    Options
    DDG's is the main feedstock in most of our cattle rations here. You cut ethanol and we'll have to use corn which is much more expensive.
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options

hmmm...maybe we should'nt be putting so much corn into our fuel tanks?

It really wouldn't make much difference. As bangor mentioned, DDG's (by-products of the ethanol distilling process) are being used as cattle feed. If you cut back or eliminate ethanol, the DDG's would not be there for feed and corn would then be fed directly to cattle. Besides, emotion is the controlling factor in grain prices - much more-so than actual supply and demand. If there were not one single ethanol plant in this country, corn prices would still be at record levels. 

Ethanol has created a lot of demand for corn, true. This has resulted in a lot of corn being grown in marginal areas that historically never grew corn. If ethanol had never become reality, those acres would have been planted into more traditional crops and we'd still be short of corn in years like this.
  • gumbo_bill
    gumbo_bill Posts: 35
    Options
    I just finished my outdoor kitchen.  99 out of 100 have refridegerators,  but I searched long and hard for 3 cf Freezer.  Glad i did!   When Bostun Butt goes for $1.00 a pound i bought 40 Lbs - and last night cooked one for 16 hours at 250... YUM