Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting an Egg

Grumpa
Grumpa Posts: 861
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this has been covered before but I thought I would throw out my $.02 for all the new BGE owners.[p]I have used newspaper, a chimney, electric starter, starter blocks....you get the picture. In my opinion the BEST way I have found to start lump is with a MAPP gas torch. I hold it close to the lump for 45 seconds and the fire is lit. No muss, no fuss. Its that easy. I can be up and running (cooking, that is) in less then 10 minutes.[p]The set up costs about $40 at Home Depot. A can of gas will last a good while and replacements are only about $7.[p]Man....I love my Egg. All those propane grill users out there just don't know what they are missin'.[p]Keep on Q'en.[p]Bob

Comments

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Bob,[p]I'll throw in my $.02 along with yours - I always use MAPP gas too. It was fun to demonstrate to the other eggers at the Lazy L Minifest how it's done. They were amazed at how fast and easy it is![p]Now for you eggers who want to give MAPP gas a try, here's a link to my tip page on lighting your lump with MAPP...[p]Chuck
    [ul][li]Lighting your lump with MAPP gas[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    2005001718.jpg
    <p />Bob,
    i really like my propane weed burner, this is at the lowest setting without kicking it up to 500,000 BTU's

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    fishlessman,
    You know, I regret not having taken the opportunity while I still had my hot air balloon, the film using the burner to start charcoal. 22 million BTUs. Actually, I don't think I would have had the, er, you know.....nerve.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    The Naked Whiz,
    i would stay way way back at 22 million BTU's. at 500,000 BTU's you would burn all your arm hair off and melt the felt gasket too, maybe peg the dome therm on an open dome. ive seen fire bricks in large industrial boilers melt to glass, i wonder how many btus it would take to melt an egg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Bob,
    I too have used just about all of em. Latley I have been using green heat and did not like it. That is changing, I now run a bead around the top of the lump and then give it a couple of stirs to mix it up and it's working great. Plus I get a more even amout of lump lit, not just a few spots. I like the weber cubes also as they are so easy to light.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• randomegger
    randomegger Posts: 194
    Bob,
    As always, I'll be the voice of dissent. Why is everyone in such a hurry to start the egg? Part of the magic, for me, is that it's a low tech operation - one step above splitting kindling. I will confess to having a Polder (one) to check the meat temp but have resisted all the quick fire methods, as well as the guru and other contraptions, aside from grates, racks and plate setters.[p]Probably just me, but I rush around enough in day to day life. I enjoy having the excuse to slow down, prep the food, sip a beer (or two) and wait for the egg to get up to temp. It really doesn't take all that long with a starter cube or those fireplace 'match' things. And if I'm in that big of a hurry I'll just start the mini.[p]So, who keeps all the $.02?[p]RE[p]

• chuckls,[p]Specifically which MAPP Home Depot setup are you talking about? I have read that the short variety that connects directly to a can of MAPP is not supposed to be used upside down.[p]
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Family Guy,[p]You may be confusing it with the propane one. If I'm not mistaken, the mapp torch is the only one that is meant to be able to be used upside down...[p]HTH
  • Mark,[p]Perfect! Thanks for the clarification.