Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Tri Tip

Options
ribnrun
ribnrun Posts: 174
edited July 2012 in Beef
So I made the usual Friday pilgrimage to Costco with the wife and children in tow. First trip with the boys and the new little girl (Emma), so I'm sure I looked white trash fabulous. While browsing the cornucopia of fresh meat offerings I wandered to their Prime graded beef section. To my delight there was a plethora of Tri Tip 2 packs available for my grilling pleasure. Being the frugal type (see above, 3 kids), I initially recoiled at the $8.99/lb expense. Never having indulged in such a treat, my desire overtook my cheapness. I egged my nearly $40 haul of Tri Tip this afternoon. Used a now defunct rub 'Rattlesteak', a Santa Maria style. Seared for 2 minutes a side then inserted my platesetter and a chunk of Oak. Didn't wait long to throw the meat on, but at such a high temp, the smoke usually tastes fine. Let them roast at about 400 for 35 minutes. Pulled at 135-140 internal (children and wife dislike rare meat, and I am fine eating medium/medium-well).

I consider myself a decent tri tip cook. I probably grill 60+ a year for the past decade, and watched my father grill hundreds on the ol weber. Yet this was the best tri tip I have ever eaten. It speaks to the heights that can be reached by starting with an excellent cut of meat. These tri tips were extremely marbled and had a practically 'spongey' feel to them when uncooked. The meat was very limber when I took it out of the package. It was throughly enjoyed by the whole family, and out of 4lbs, what remains in the picture is all that I have left over for sandwiches. Makes me sad because I will never feel like I did before when I pick up a good looking 'choice' grade tri tip.

Comments