Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Temp keeps dropping on long slow cooks

CookinupnorthCookinupnorth Posts: 79
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok so I'm makin ribs .. Filled her up with charcoal...temp stable at 226 for 2 hrs...then an hour late it's 200.. I open the vents get it back to 225/235 then it hangs for another hour nd starts to drop again? Any thoughts? Thnxin advance AT
·

Comments

• BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,950
    My thoughts off the bat is try 250. I find 250 easy to maintain.
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,758
    edited July 2012
    I'm going with air flow.  More specifically, your charcoal grate is getting clogged with ash.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • BYS1981 said:

My thoughts off the bat is try 250. I find 250 easy to maintain.

This will fix ya. 250-260 and it will run for days.

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,411
    I'm going with air flow.  More specifically, your charcoal grate is getting clogged with ash.

The key to success is as mentioned above; air-flow.  Of course, the higher the desired dome temp means the greater the air-flow so the easier for the BGE to accommodate (to a high end point).  When you are running with low dome temps you are very susceptible to minor changes in the air through the BGE to manage fire volume.  Any hiccups will have a major impact. FWIW-
    Louisville
    ·
  • Thanks guys!
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,920
    Go 275 dome, you shouldn't have any problems.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Go 275 dome, you shouldn't have any problems.
    agreed

·