Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ II

Options
BuckeyeBob
BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
After six years of smoking, first with my WSM, and now with my Large BGE, I have finally bit the bullet and bought my first pit controller. I did some research and ultimately decided on the DigiQ II and ordered last week. Now, I need to learn how to use it. I am trying to figure out how people use this. At what time in the process do you hook the controller up and turn it on? Do I get temp set and the egg heated up and then turn on? Any and all suggestions in using are very much appreciated!

Buckeye Bob
Clarendon Hills, IL

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you're cooking low and indirect, make a pyramid with your lump, light the top.  Leave the dome open for 15 minutes or so, close the lid and turn on the DigiQ, set the temp.  You don't want to start with a huge fire and try cooling down the egg.  Wait for the evil smelling smoke to go away and you should be ready to go.

In my opinion, wax starters should only be used if you plan on burning all the wax up first - like when starting a hot direct cook fire.  I don't use them anymore because it's just too easy to start with a torch or electric starter and no risk of a waxy contamination on your food.
    Options

I used my digiQ for the first time this weekend. I did it exactly the way nolaegghead described and it worked perfectly, except for a part of the day in the direct sun when the temp got a little higher then I wanted (250 grid, climbed to 270). I shut the fan damper a bit and it came right back down. Cooked a butt for almost 11 hours.

The digiQ makes long cooks a snap.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sweet!  I know it sounds counter-intuitive to light the top of a pyramid, but I read it in the manual and it always works great.

From the manual:

"How you build the fire in your pit is critical for good control, especially at low
    temperatures. Stack the charcoal inside your pit so it’s shaped like a pyramid, small at
    the top and large at the bottom. Light the fire by lighting a few coals at the top. Do not
    over-fire the charcoal or light it at the bottom, because this will only translate into startup
    overshoot and over-firing. Some overshoot is normal and it may take a while for the fire
    to stabilize."

Options
    i've used mine on a few low and slow . i start my fire with a torch in the center my digiQ is hooked up and set already blowing with the lid open i give it about 10/15mins put my place setter in and close the lid allowing the digiQ to bring the egg up to temp usually let it do its things for about 45mins or so and then put my stuff on holds rock solid at the temps i set for as long as i have lump in the egg 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    @nolaegghead is dead on.  I start it just the same and have terrific results.
  • DeafNativeTexan
    Options
    If you're cooking low and indirect, make a pyramid with your lump, light the top.  Leave the dome open for 15 minutes or so, close the lid and turn on the DigiQ, set the temp.  You don't want to start with a huge fire and try cooling down the egg.  Wait for the evil smelling smoke to go away and you should be ready to go.
    I have DigiQ DX2 since two months, but I've not had a chance to use it, even though I used egg alot lately..  Question to ask about Daisy Wheel..  After follow what you describe above - after close lid, then DigiQ turn on, DW should be closed? or crack a little bit or how much opening?  Any advices, will appreciate..  I am thinking about using it for first time this weekend.. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    DigiQ or no DigiQ, your fire still needs a bit of air to keep lit.  I'm a new Egghead and sprung for a DigiQ as well, but I'm not new to low & slow.  Keep your daisy wheel cracked and let the DigiQ worry about the rest.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    DigiQ or no DigiQ, your fire still needs a bit of air to keep lit.  I'm a new Egghead and sprung for a DigiQ as well, but I'm not new to low & slow.  Keep your daisy wheel cracked and let the DigiQ worry about the rest.
    Correct.  I usually leave the top vents about half open, and then if the temp starts to creep above target, I close those vents to just barely open.