Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Swing rack?

Comments

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Can you vary the space between the grates? Looks like different length pipes would do this. 
    Eggo in N. MS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    FWIW- (and only an opinion and we all know what those are worth) I like the fact that the stock hole on the lower/main grate is out there at the outer edge/diameter with the "old modified" system-just a bit more unimpeded room on the main grid although I don't think I have ever "maxed it out". Thought about the "tip issue" but never really experienced it even with the main grate elevated to a raised grid position and the swing rack above it.  Sure you could load the upper rack with lots of meat and nothing below-but then the cook should give physics some consideration-even through an adult beverage induced cloud.  Ramblings on a Saturday night.  And yes, I would advocate a return to the modified version-but I'm not CGW!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Duly noted and will be taken into consideration.

@eggo, you have a tremendous amount a spacing at your disposal, however one issue eggers run into is this, the main grate sits 4" below the gasket so even though you can lower the upper as much as you want, you need to be mindful you can only go as low as the gasket at the base, otherwise you'll hit the side wall of the cooker...make sense??
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Just ordered, no the wait begins!
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Just ordered, no the wait begins!
    Congrats! I remember "the wait". It was painful but rewarding when the heavy azz thing arrived :))
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • CGW1
    @ Lizzie, thanks for the order and I'll keep you posted.

@sgt "the wait" that's funny!!!
  • Sgt93
    Tonight I made shrimp with Dizzy Pig Raging River on a plank, Tilapia with various Dizzy Pig spices (wife loves Tilapia) on a plank, and a juicy Porterhouse.  Also made fresh salsa and green beans. Tons of room left over.
  • CGW1
    Nice!!!! Where's my invite?? Lol
  • Sgt93
    Nice!!!! Where's my invite?? Lol
    Always an invite. Bring your azz to IL and I will cook up something. :)
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    I grew up in Effingham, where in IL are you?
  • eggo
    Duly noted and will be taken into consideration.

@eggo, you have a tremendous amount a spacing at your disposal, however one issue eggers run into is this, the main grate sits 4" below the gasket so even though you can lower the upper as much as you want, you need to be mindful you can only go as low as the gasket at the base, otherwise you'll hit the side wall of the cooker...make sense??
    I see, too low and can't swing. Just wondering if the space was variable. 
    Eggo in N. MS
  • eggo
    FWIW- (and only an opinion and we all know what those are worth) I like the fact that the stock hole on the lower/main grate is out there at the outer edge/diameter with the "old modified" system-just a bit more unimpeded room on the main grid although I don't think I have ever "maxed it out". Thought about the "tip issue" but never really experienced it even with the main grate elevated to a raised grid position and the swing rack above it.  Sure you could load the upper rack with lots of meat and nothing below-but then the cook should give physics some consideration-even through an adult beverage induced cloud.  Ramblings on a Saturday night.  And yes, I would advocate a return to the modified version-but I'm not CGW!
    I agree, I think. From the latest pic, looks like some space is impeded on lower grid due to placement of pivot point. I really like the swing concept and will probably order one soon.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Sgt93
    I grew up in Effingham, where in IL are you?
    Champaign. Hating life. 
  • Sgt93
    I agree, I think. From the latest pic, looks like some space is impeded on lower grid due to placement of pivot point. I really like the swing concept and will probably order one soon.
    Swingers rule.....
  • Sgt93
    I mean join the swing club......

• Sgt93
    Wait a minute, you know what I mean... :)
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    edited July 2012
    Hmm - Just ordered some GrillGrates for my BGE.  It would appear I will have to cut a hole in one of the grates should I want to use all 3 grates at the same time.  I think I will have to agree with lousubcat reference the hole being closer to the outside edge.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    So fellas,

Tell me why this swing rack is better than an XL Rig/Woo Combo from Ceramic Grill Store.

I've had my eye on the CGS product for quite some time, and plan on buying something this week.

Interested in hearing your replies.
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    I haven't read everything to see if this was answered but...

@CGW1 - for a short time you were running the swing-hole further to the outside edge of the grate.  This allowed you to lower the upper grate further without contacting the plate-setter, but caused tipping issues.  As such, you returned the hole to where it was. 

I'm just curious if you ever thought about putting the pivot point further to the edge, while welding a counter weight to the other side & bottom of the grate - to offset the possible tipping?
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • CGW1
    @BRush I actually have a drawing I'm working on with something along those line, I don't foresee this materializing soon, but could be something to consider.

Thanks for the advice.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited July 2012

@BRush00- I have the version designed as you mention and here are my comments from a recent post above.

Franco did acknowledge the above.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    @BRush I actually have a drawing I'm working on with something along those line, I don't foresee this materializing soon, but could be something to consider.

Thanks for the advice.

Very interesting indeed - feel free to send me a Swing Grate V3.0 for some beta testing ;-)

Only issue I can really see it causing (apart from increased shipping weight), would be a spot on the grid that will take longer to come up to higher temps (due to the heat sink).  Simply not searing your steak on top of the counter weight should solve that issue just fine.

There's also something to be said about lousubcap's idea as well...  While it would be a shame to see a big pork butt or chicken go to the dirt because they loaded the rack improperly.... I bet they'd only do it once!
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • CGW1
    There was really noway to lose any food off of the top rack, unless it was hotdogs. The tipping wasn't that severe besides the shaft would hit the sidewall of the cooker. A 10# butt would not roll off, maybe lousubcap can further explain the tipping, I'm sure he has his all figured out and he won't allow it to tip.

Beta testing.....thanks for offering. Lol
  • CGW1
    There was really noway to lose any food off of the top rack, unless it was hotdogs. The tipping wasn't that severe besides the shaft would hit the sidewall of the cooker. A 10# butt would not roll off, maybe lousubcap can further explain the tipping, I'm sure he has his all figured out and he won't allow it to tip.

Beta testing.....thanks for offering. Lol
  • Sgt93
    To fix the dog/brat/sausage issues, you lay them lengthwise with the slots on the grate.  I haven't had anything fall off the top rack other than a sausage. It fell to the bottom grate and was quickly eaten :)
  • CGW1
    @Sgt93 lol never let any food go to waste!!!

Not to sound like a broken record here, but I'm really really really blown away by this thread and I really really really can't thank everyone for all the orders that have been just about pouring in. WOW is all I can say and of course thank you very much. As soon as this order arrives, I'll let everyone know.

I've been getting several inquiry's about the 2 tier in combination with some of the products from Tom at CGS. I have no experience with his products, so those of you that have the woo's and spiders etc along with the 2 tier please chime in and let others know if the items work well together. Thanks.
  • CGW1
    @hapster- possibly a discussion between myself and Tom may be needed.
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Agreed
    I think that would only result in positives going forward @CGW1
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    I truly appreciate the kind words and the advice....your points are duly noted, again I have no intentions on any offshore manufacturing.

On that note lets open up another discussion. Those of you that purchased and are using the system, do you feel the price is worth the product, or do we think you over paid??

The replies should be interesting.

If I wanted inexpensive (cheap) I wouldn't have the BGE.  The price must be OK with me since I ordered the shaft kit after getting the swing rack.  Ceramic griller demographics may not be "wealthy" but we care about what we do and what we use.
    My actuary says I'm dead.