Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger in Dallas - Trying Rack of Lamb for first time

Options
JHazard
JHazard Posts: 18
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

I've never been much on web forums, but realized this site is absolute crack ever since I found it last month!  What great cooks are on here and what awesome posts y'all put down.

I'm doing rack of lamb tonight and have some questions.  I'm planning to just use sea salt, pepper and garlic salt to allow the natural flavor of the lamb be the focus.  I hope I don't regret not going with the mustard blends I've seen many of you do. 

It looks like I should sear both sides at 550-600 for one minute per side?

Then take the lamb off, insert platesetter and cool down to 350?

Then cook for 25-30 minutes meat side down until I hit 130 internal temp?

Any and all recomendations would be GREATLY appreciated!  Thanks to anyone who can help and I look forward to learning more from this great community!

Comments

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    That sounds fairly reasonable.  Probably everyone has developed their own technique(s).  I do mine direct at 350'ish, but I flip often to avoid burning.  Your idea may work out better.  Like you, simple is better for me.  Just EVOO and salt.  If I want to get crazy, I add some fresh rosemary.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Can't help you on lamb, but we should really get all the Dallas people together for a backyard bbq. Hope that you are planning on attending the Plano Outlaw Eggfest in November.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    I dont like searing them, because the fat just burns. learned that the hard way. Burnt lamb fat is among the worst, not so good.

i know there's a tendency to want to sear roasts.  i don't see it.  you get a better crust at roasting temps, going slowly, and you'll get a better amount of rare/medium-rare across the meat.

evoo will burn too, when searing.  oil is better for pan searing, or at least just moderate direct grilling.  but any attempt at a blast furnace direct sear with olive oil is going to yield burnt oil.

is the rack trimmed of excess fat? there's a LOT of fat on lamb racks.

i would suggest slow roasting.  light oil, and season as you suggested.  could even go lower temp roasting if you wanted
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante