Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza pics - Caputo "00" flour

ChokeOnSmoke
ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok, here's the first two pizzas made with the Caputo "00" flour.  The first one I let rise for a couple hours.  The other half of the dough I left in the fridge for 2 days.  The two day dough was lighter and seemed to rise more.  I cooked them at 550 for 10 minutes -- stone preheated for 20 minutes.
Just learning the art of making pizza but seem to get better every time...

imageimage
Packerland, Wisconsin

Comments

• beautiful...smells wonderful
  • Looks fantastic! How did it taste ! :)
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited July 2012
    Looks fantastic! How did it taste ! :)
    Tasted great.  Best I've made so far...the last one was only my 4th pizza ever (with homemade dough anyway).  Before that I made pre made crusts and burned almost every one of them.  Cortguitarman got me into making my own dough and I think it's all uphill from here.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Good choice of flour..the best choice, actually.
    Nice side shot on pic 7 and 8. Looks like you sprinkled something on the pizza after it was done....info? italian seasoning?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    The 00 flour makes it so much easier to work with its no wonder the pizza guys made it look so easy. Less sticky and dry.
    Seattle, WA
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

That looks incredible. Any Directions on making the dough? The last few runs I have made have not come out worth posting pictures of.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• rickHP
    rickHP Posts: 49

How did you set up the egg? it looks like you got the top and bottom both perfectly done, which I haven't figured out yet.

Very nice rise on the crust too.

• Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    I got help from here on the crust and it has turned out great ever since...the key component is to let the pizza stone get to temp for at least 30-40 mins....once I was patient and let the stone get to temp I had no issues with the browning of the crust or the toppings melting....I cook at 550-600....time is about 6-8 mins per pie...
  • Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    Sorry...the set up was plate setter legs up...grill and then the pizza stone on top of the grill....I had done my first few pizzas with the legs down....much better result after putting them up....
  • mteele
    mteele Posts: 48
    I tried doing pizza last night for the first time. Platesetter legs up in my PSWoo3, with 16" pizza stone on top of the grill and it was a failure. Let it preheat for near a half hour and was only hitting 300 degrees. Not sure what I did wrong but I'll try again soon. But it wasn't the way I imagined breaking in my new pizza stone.
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    ChokeonSmoke that looks SO good. Congratulations!!!!  Any tips for good sauce?
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Most of the time I don't use sauce, I just add some diced up canned San Marzano tomatoes, other times I'll cut up some cherry or grape tomatoes.  For cheese, I just slice it up into chunks, better and easier than grating it, IMHO.
    mteele....let me encourage you!!!....my first pizza was a bust.....after I made the changes that I shared they turned out great....it sounds like you didn't get the lump hot enough....you have to open the bottom vent all the way and remove the daisy wheel until you get the temp up to 600 or so...once you get it there....you have to adjust the bottom vent and put the daisy wheel back on and adjust to keep the heat at 600 for a good 40 mins...while your getting it going you have to put the plate setter and pizza stone in....I the biggest lesson I learn from my first failure was I had to be patient....after that it was great!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Nice side shot on pic 7 and 8. Looks like you sprinkled something on the pizza after it was done....info? italian seasoning?
    Yup, heavy dose of Penzey's Italian Seasoning. 
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke
    edited July 2012

That looks incredible. Any Directions on making the dough? The last few runs I have made have not come out worth posting pictures of.

I got the recipe a couple weeks ago from a guy on the forum "cortguitarman":

1 C warm water (105-115 degrees)
    1 t. granulated sugar
    1 t. active dry yeast
    3 C all purpose flour (did 2 pies with regular flour and the latest 2 pies with Caputo "00" flour)
    1 t. olive oil
    1 T kosher salt

1.) Dump sugar with water into Kitchen Aide, then sprinkle yeast on top.  Let stand 5-10 minutes (until yeast becomes frothy).
    2.) Pour flour and salt into mixer and put it on low to combine.
    3.) Add olive oil and continue to mix for 5-6 minutes on low.
    4.) Add dough to lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap for at least 1.5 hours.
    5.) Cut dough in half (each half will make about a 10 inch pie).
    6.) Lightly flour the counter top and press out the dough.
    7.) Light the egg, and when ready, add the plate setter and bring up to 550.
    8.) Add the pizza stone and let warm up only 15-20 minutes.
    9.) Flour the peel, put on the pizza dough on and assemble pie quickly (shaking peel often to make sure it's not sticking.
    10.) Slide it onto the pizza stone (I don't put anything on the pizza stone and I don't have a problem with sticking.

* my assembly is plate setter legs up, then grid, then feet on the grid, then pizza stone on the feet.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke

How did you set up the egg? it looks like you got the top and bottom both perfectly done, which I haven't figured out yet.

Very nice rise on the crust too.

Plate setter legs up, then grid, then feet on the grid, then pizza stone on the feet.
    Egg at 550.  Pizza stone warmed up for 20 minutes (next time I'm only going to let it warm up 15 minutes). I'm looking for a very light brown crust.  I aiming for chewy rather than crispy.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke
    edited July 2012
    ChokeonSmoke that looks SO good. Congratulations!!!!  Any tips for good sauce?
    I'm looking for tips on sauce too.  I used cheap grocery store sauce on my first two.   Used canned sauce (Cento) on the next two pizzas I bought with the flour from Fred's BBQ.  It was pretty good but I need a long term sauce recipe I can experiment with.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    A great place to buy Caputo 00 flour is brickovenbaker.com  Matter of fact they are a great source for many pizza supplies.  I use them all the time.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    A great place to buy Caputo 00 flour is brickovenbaker.com  Matter of fact they are a great source for many pizza supplies.  I use them all the time.
    Bookmarked, looks like some nice stuff.  Thanks.
    Packerland, Wisconsin